Chapter 17

(Merida's POV)

We had been hearing more and more about this mysterious black bear. His attacks were usually when I was away, which was no coincidence. Pan does not see it, but I do, very well. The first time I saw that beast was when I was saving Pan. All I had to do was one roar and it just walked away without a fight. That's how I knew that this is not a small pest. I knew with just one look in its one dead eye, that this bear was Mor'du. I denied the fact in my mind, that it was impossible; but deep down, I knew it was true.

We were in the conference tent talking about what to do about our pest problem when suddenly, there was a huge roar. Not just ordinary roar, the roar of Mor'du. A roar like that sends deadly shivers down your back. The kind that you know danger is at your path. I only saw him once long, long ago. It was on my sixth birthday when it happened. My breathing became quick; so did Hubert's. We both knew what could happen.

There arose the legendary monster. It was over ten feet. The bear had needle-sharp claws, a misaligned jaw, and long, sharp teeth. Its body is covered in scars, broken weapon hilts, and arrows.

All the lost boys started shooting arrows and throwing spears, but it was no use. The bear still stood tall, the spears and arrows had no effect. I did nothing, I was too shocked of the bear from DunBroch traveled to another realm. I was too numb to the thought that this monster was capable of doing. I then snapped out of it.

It's just a bear. Don't lose your nerve. The boys need you, I thought.

I then turned into my bear form. I marched up to the vile thing and gave it a strong push. It gave me a look. Not like "I will kill you" look, but a blank look. It could be one of its dead eyes for the effect. I started huffing and puffing with a great roar. The bear did not take my appearance lightly. It threw me over to the other side of the camp. I laid still, numb with some pain. Suddenly the creature was in front of me. A growl escaped my throat into the open.

"Ursa," The bear hissed in the bear language. His voice was deep yet strong. The bear had the same thick accent that my family had.

"What?" I whispered in bear tongue.

"Meet me at the western beach of the island tonight."

"W—what?"

"If this is not obeyed, then every day you refuse, the population of your sleuth will decrease one by one. Do you understand?"

Before I could answer, Pan struck the beast with his powers. The bear walked away. Not out of fear nor pain, Mor'du knew damn well that he gained what he wanted. I did not tell Pan about the threats. He was more nervous than he should be. I can not add more this. It was a miracle that the last time that Mor'du attack Pan, he did not tear him to shreds. This is something I had to do alone. I will not let Neverland fall into ruins because of me.

•••

I was waiting for Mor'du. It was passed midnight. I did not expect a creature who destroys kingdoms to be on time; but still.

"Hey!" I called.

"I'm out here, right where you wanted to meet!" No signs of him.

"Oh, so that's it! You make a threat on a girl and doesn't fill their end of the bargain! You're nothing but a coward with fleas!"

"'A coward with fleas?' My dear child, I may have fleas, but I am no coward." A voice boomed in.

I spun around to see the tallest giant I have ever seen. The man is somewhat too tall for his build; were he a few inches shorter he would be all the more handsome for it. It was as if he stopped growing only to be stretched on one of those medieval racks a half-foot more. His face was mostly obscured by a long, dark beard that goes down to his chest. He was wearing a kilt with dark colors and a fine black fur. The man's posture was surprisingly good. His one good eye was a cold hazel.