Chapter 16

(Merida's POV)

There was this huge canyon in Neverland, Evermore Canyon. It was called that because to humans, it takes a long time to journey through it. It was a steep climb. Today, I am going to jump it. Pan and Felix were with me that day.

I stood on the edge without hesitation. I stepped back and made a running start. When I came to the edge of the cliff, I jumped.

It felt great. It was like I was flying. To have that rush coursing through your veins. Followed by the high pleasure of feeling alive. To lean back and just soar. How just, like life, everything rushes past you. In a blur of pictures missing the finer details, all within a blink of an eye. Before I knew it, I hit the ground on the other side of the cliff.

I turned around, Pan and Felix were cheering.

"I'm going to do it again!" I called.

I stepped back into the deep forest. When I was about start running, someone grabbed me and placed their hand on my mouth. I stomped my foot on him. He let go in pain. I got a good look at him. He was skinny, had fair skin, rosy cheeks, curly red hair, and blue eyes. I was about to beat the life out him when he said, "Wait! I didn't mean to startle you. Listen, before you beat me up or whatever, just hear me out."

"Hear you out for what?" I asked confused.

"I know that you don't recognize—or even remember me—but it's me, Hubert. Your brother?"

I then fumed, "Yer bum's oot the windae! No one in my family will come for me!"

"Well, I did! You had three triplet brothers. You had a Scottish shire horse named Angus. You lived in the Kingdom of Dun—"

I covered his mouthed. Then I took my hand off his face. It was covered with truthfulness and honesty.

"Is—is it really you?" I softly sniveled.

"Yes, sis, it's really me."

I pulled him into a hug. Hubert. He still cared about me.

"I ought of gie ye a skelpit lug! You almost gave me a heart attack!" I joked. I then looked around at him, "Look how much you grew! How old are you?"

"Seventeen." He chuckled.

Suddenly, we heard the bushes rustling. We drew out our swords and stepped forward. Pan and Felix jumped out. They sighed in relief. Pan asked, "Are you okay? We saw someone kidnapped you and came over here as fast as possible."

"I'm better than okay," I smiled. "Boys, this is my brother, Hubert."

They both fell silent, trying to process this. Then Pan said, "There is more of you? I thought Merida was the only crazy red-head."

I playfully, but firmly, punched him in the arm. Felix and Hubert laughed. Since it was becoming dark, we set up camp. That night, Hubert was jokingly embarrassed me. He told stories about my childhood. I rolled my eyes and ignored him. He did not mention about the royalty part. Thank goodness. I would have to talk to him about that later. When we were all tired, we fell to sleep.

•••

When we returned to camp, all the boys were dead silent.

"What? Why do you all look like there's been a massacre?" I asked one of the lost boys.

"There was a massacre," he sadly replied. "While you three were gone, an animal, attacked the camp. We believed it was a black bear— "

"I swear, it wasn't me! Asked Pan and Felix!" I interrupted.