Chapter 9

(Merida's POV)

I was watching the fire dance around in the dark. It felt weird after you make your first enemy. I do not know if Pan is an enemy—but who knows!

I sort of wished that I stayed. It gets lonely here. The past few weeks have been bittersweet. I enjoyed the freedom that I had: not being bossed around; sleeping as long as I like, and doing anything the way I want. Still, I became lonely. I mean, I talked to the animals; but it did not replace that small hole deep inside. For the first time in these long weeks, that sword fight with Pan was the first connection I had in this realm. I would not mind going the camp; but now, I could not afford another massacre. I would not live with myself. 

I then heard some bushes rustling. I grabbed my frying pan and crept near the tunnel. When I heard the footsteps get closer, I hit the figure at the back of his head. I heard a groan. Then I got a good look at him. It was Pan.

"What is it with you and damaging my face?" He said.

"I don't know, what is with you and being a stalker?" I sassed.

"Don't be afraid, be flattered. Most girls would love to be visited by me."

"I just saw you hours ago. Can't I be free of you?"

"Let's start over, a fresh start," he said, kinder, "I believe that we came off on the wrong foot. I'm Peter, Peter Pan; but you can call me Peter." He took out his hand.

I shook it, "I'm calling you Pan."

"Call me whatever you want. Can I call you by your name?"

"Maybe. What are you doing here? Did anyone follow you?"

"First, I came to talk and return your cloak," he tossed my cloak to me, "Second, no, no one followed me."

"Alright, have a seat, Pan," I gestured him to the logs around the fire pit.

When we sat down, I asked, "What do you want to talk about?"

"Before we talk, I want to play you a little song. May I?"

"Sure, I guessed," I replied confused.

He then brought out a pan flute and played a song. And the music of the flute came quick, rather brilliant like a call-note, or like a long quick message, half command. To me, it was like a pure male voice—as a blackbird's when he calls: a pure male voice, not only calling, but telling me something.

My heart filled with emotion as I heard the wondrous tune spilled out into the night by the air graciously gliding through his lips. To me, it was more than a song. It made me feel such emotion that I could barely handle to listen to it's marvelous sound. When I woke to the gorgeous sound of the that flute in the evening, I felt as if each wonderful note was being played only for me; only for my heart to feel the love I felt as the melody graced my ears. It was eerie, soft melody. It took me in a light trance. The music sounded so beautiful. It gave me a feeling I had long forgotten. When he was done, I commented, "Nice tune, now what do you want?"

"You can hear the music?" Pan asked.

I nodded my head, then hummed the same melody I heard.

"You see, this pipe is enchanted. Only people who feel unloved and lost can hear it." He smiled.

"Oh," I sighed. That made sense though. 

"I was thinking, since I am the leadership of the lost boys, I could use a hand. You're smart, athletic, and know the island. I need someone like you to be in league with. What do you think of being the first, honorary Lost Girl?"

I thought for a moment, then replied, "On three conditions. One, I live here—I worked damn hard on building that treehouse and I'm not putting it to waste. Two, you bring nobody else here. I don't want to wake up with pervs in my bed—I know how you boys think. Three you don't own me nor control me. I am not one of your little dogs."

"I think I can live with that," he agreed, "If you tell me you name."

"No. I'm the one bargaining here, not you."

"Well, why should I bargain with a girl who I don't know her name." he sassed.

I took a deep breath and rolled my eyes, "Merida. My name is Merida."

"Merida," He repeated.

"Yeah, it means 'the sea of bitterness and sorrow.'" I said. I did not think the name fitted me before, but now it did.

"It also means 'rebellion' and 'mistress of the sea.'" He commented.

"Oh," I said. I changed the subject, "Is there anything else you want?"

"Well, now that you asked," Pan started, "Where did you learn to fight like that? That was...incredible. And that's coming from the master of swordsmen."

I rolled my eyes. I was about to tell him my story when it hit me. If the lost boys are who they are because of their background, then how could I fit in? They could never understand my struggles in the castle. I could be the laughing stock of Neverland. I was already an outcast by my gender and soon my species. Did I really want to make it worse?

"My father was one of the royal guards and hunters. He taught me everything I know." I lied.

"You must a good learner there beca—," He noticed me getting lost by the fire. I was not listening to Pan. I did not want to talk about him.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up," He said.

"It's fine," I replied.

We talked awhile longer and he left. It felt so good to talk to a person again. That was why I need to keep my secret. I can not flee another realm. It will break me.