Chapter 30

(Merida's POV)

We were following the the trail of wisps. I feel so free. No more secrets from each other. I never have to worry about keeping secrets about anything.

"So," Pan started. "What's it's like being married at a young age?"

I rolled my eyes, "We weren't married, we were betrothed. Well, we almost married each other."

"Okay then, how did you two reacted when you realized you have to marry each other?"

"I was pissed." I said.

"Same." Felix chimed in.

"I was excited." Hubert implied. We all stared at him. "Hey! Where there's a wedding, there's dessert."

We all laughed. Then it died down when we saw the end of the trail. There was a arch that bears the symbol of the crossed axes. It led to some ruins.

"Why did the wisps bring us here?" Pan asked while looking around.

We walked around the area. I looked at one of the ruined buildings.

"Whoever they were," I said, suggesting the ruins' past inhabitants. "They've been gone for a long, long tim..."

Suddenly, I fell through the floor. The boys ran over and looked down on the hole.

"I'm fine, guys! Fine!" I shouted.

I looked around me.

"What do you see?" Felix called.

"It's a...throne room. Hubert, do you suppose this could have been the kingdom in that story Mum was telling me? The one with the princes?"

I then stared at a stone with three figures and a split stone with the fourth figure. One of the princes faces looked awfully familiar. He was tall, not as tall as the older brother. He was a bit stout. His face was with a short, shaggy beard. Could it be him?

"Hubert!" I called. "I think there's a carving of Dad in here."

"What?" He questioned loudly.

"Yeah, the carving looks just like him. Mum never mention him in the story."

How is this possible? Can my father be one of the princes? That would mean we had uncles. Why didn't he mention them? What happened to them? Why would the wisps lead us here?

I continue to analyze the carvings. There was something else about them. Something so familiar.

"One, two, three, four. The oldest." I said to myself, then it hit me. "Like...like the tapestry."

I saw bones all over the floor. The witch's words echoed in my head.

"The strength of ten men. Fate be changed. Changed with fate." I repeated.

I was staring at the split figure, the largest one. I wondered why it would be broken out of all the rest. I looked at it's face. The scar was marked on the right eye.

"Oh, no!" I yelled. "The prince became..."

Suddenly, I saw a shadow, covering the carvings. I turned around and saw the bear coming up to me.

"Mor'du!" I screamed.

Mor'du roared in my face. I started shooting arrows at it. What a fool I was to think that would work. He ran towards me in full speed. The boys started yelling at me to run. With good timing, I ran to aside. The bear slammed it's face into the carvings. I started with a run. I made a leap to the edge of the hole. I was not sure if I would make it. Luckily, the boys grabbed my flying arm and started to pull me up.

When we all caught our breath, we heard a roar.

"Everyone," I called. "Climb on!"

Hubert and I turned into our bear forms. Felix and Pan mounted on us. We started to run faster than we have ever been. We were running for our lives. I was practically flying in the air. We ran deeper and deeper into the woods. We stopped when we returned to the witch's cottage.

"So," Felix asked as I turned human. "Your father, the bear king, has a bear brother?"

"Yes," I replied. "He had two other brothers, too."

"I wonder why Dad never mention this to us." Hubert said.

"I don't know; but what I do know this witch knows something." I implied.