Chapter 20

It was a while since I last saw Mor'du. He was still here, I know it. I can feel his eyes on me, even when I sleep. My brother and I barely left the alcove, besides hunting, which we do nearby.

"Merida!" a voice yelled.

I made my way down the ladder. I walked up to the door of the tunnel.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Crap, Merida, it's us. Pan and Felix. Now let us in!" called the first voice.

"Not by the hair of my chin. How do I know it's really is you and not Mor'du?"

"We don't know," another voice chimed in. "You never told us that you would do any this!"

"Merida," the first voice sighed. "It's really us. I promise you that. If we're really Mor'du, then why haven't we try to break down the door yet?"

They do have a point.

I hesitantly unlocked all the locks and opened the first door. Then came to the second door and unlocked it. A sigh of relief came through. I let Pan and Felix come through the tunnel. Then locked the doors all over again.

"Was that really necessary, Mer?"

"Of course!" I said firmly, "This wasn't for me and my brother, it was for you too."

"Us?" Felix with a sigh of irritation.

"Yes. Every full moon is either a bloody one or a safe one. Who knows which one it's going to be. Mor'du could conjure something up to make me lose control and destroy the whole camp in one blow."

"But we haven't seen him in forever. Maybe he gave up." Pan mentioned.

"No." I said in a dry tone. "He is still here. I know it."

"Merida," Felix gently remonstrance. "You're being paranoid."

I scoffed, then calmly said, "How is the camp?"

"It's fine." Pan answered.

"Good, that's important. The camp safe from any harm."

I walked away. I wished that they understand. They need to stay away from me.

•••

I was walking in the woods humming a distant melody. I was so lost in thought that I did not hear the footsteps behind me. When I heard them, they were coming closer and closer. I picked up the past, but the person continued behind me. I felt him or her really close to me. I turned around, but no one was there. Not much time past when someone grabbed me by the waist and placed a cloth over my mouth. The smell filled my nose. The reek was worst than Wendy's cheap perfume. I collapsed into the stranger's arms.

I woke up in a bedroom. It was a nice bedroom. The room was completely made out of solid rock. The bed and seats were fashioned by fur and feathers. I even had a bathroom and closet. Then I remembered what happened and began to panic. There was a knock at a door when a pig came in. Not just any pig, but a pig who acts and dresses like a man.

"The master would like to see you now." The pig spoke.

I started to resist, but I could not. I could not fight like a bear. Something was preventing me from using my powers. The swine dragged me along the hall. About the hall were mounted heads of many animals—lions, tigers, elephants, moose, bears; larger or more perfect specimens I had never seen. I was shoved into what looked like a dining room. He closed the door before I can do anything. I heard the lock clicking. I looked around. The walls were stone­—like the bedroom. The tablecloth was tailored from some type a black skin. On it was silver trays, lining up to the beast.

"Sit down, Ursa." Mor'du said. I sat down quietly. "Now, how was your morning?"

"It's morning?" I asked. All I could remember the time that I left the boys was in the afternoon.

"Yes, unfortunately that formula was very strong. You were out for three days."

"Three days?" I murmured.

"Yes." he commented, then repeated, "So tell me, how was your morning?"

"Hmm, let me see," I started, "I was walking peacefully in the woods when a total freak gave me some gas. I was unconscious for three days. The boys have no idea what happened to me or where I am. I woke up powerless. Then, a piece of ham shoved me into a room where the rat king is. To sum it up, yeah, I did have a wonderful morning!"

"My dear child—"

"Don't 'dear child me!' You had no right to abduct me. I told you to leave me alone!"

"Ursa, how about we calm down and have some breakfast." Mor'du offered.

With a snap of his fingers, birds flew down and took the tops of the trays away, leaving abundant of food on the table. Most of it were meat, no surprise. I stared at it. Mor'du begun eating. He then looked up and said, "It's not poison, you know. You better eat up. You have a big day ahead of you."

I grabbed whatever I could fit on my plate. Three days can leave you starving. I started to eat slowly. Throwing up would not make this any better. As I was eating, he started to talk.

"I sensed that you noticed my heads down the hall." he commented.

"Yeah, freaky," I said.

"Really? I thought that you enjoy hunting."

"Not for sport."

"It's not for sport. I happened to find the best and hunt it down. I kill it and remove its head. The rest I use for...other things." Mor'du smiled with red lips he had from the wine.

I was silent for a moment. I watched him walked towards me without turning my head, my heart was hammering but I keep my gait casual with no hint of hesitation. My mind flickered back to a few days ago when I was concealed behind stone walls. Perhaps the boys would try to save me.

"Why am I here?" I asked with a dry tone.

"Like I said—"

"If you really care about me, then you would have left without trouble."

He stared at me for a moment, then said with fatherly way, "I just want what's best for you. You may see yourself as a monster; but what I see is a great beauty with power that needs to be...train and strengthen."

"What—what does that mean? W—what are you going to do to me?"

He looked away, clenching and unclenching his hands into fists. Rolling his shoulder's forward, he looked at me. Fear bubbles up in my chest, but I did not dare to let it show.

Mor'du leaned in, "If you what your friends and brother alive and unharmed, then come with me and do exactly what I say."

Through a swirl of sickening fears came from his voice, dark with almost a touch a pleasure— another wave of shivers shot down my spine.  To see me just as I was—a teenager, a girl, stressed about him, keeping everyone safe and controlling my bear side. How can I tell him that my biggest fear was not death or monsters but those who threatened to destroy the things I love most? Somehow my muscles threatened. What did I ever do? 

"Lead away then," I say, grabbing his hand, expecting to tug an unmovable boulder—hesitant when he lead me out the door. He locked it behind us. Although every nerve in my body was tingling, I felt that I did some, so far.