Chasing Cars (5)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter five

leaving

"Close your eyes." Tom said. He was covering my eyes and we were walking outside, "Am I hurting you?" I smiled.

"No, you're not. Where are we going?" I heard him chuckling.

"Stop there." He said.

"Why do you have to be so enigmatic all the time?" I took his hands off my eyes.

"Ta-da!"

"Oh my God! Is this, is it yours?!" I asked, walking towards the Pugeot. I turned to see him, Tom was with his arms folded over his chest and smiling triumphantly.

"Yep, it's mine." He walked closer, "I got my first pay cheque, and I needed a car." He opened the door for me, "C'mon, let's go for a ride." I smiled widely but then I remembered what I was going to do.

"I can't, I was about to leave to visit my mum-"

"I'll take you then." He said, "I haven't seen your mum in ages, I must go and say hi."

"Oh, okay." We got in the car. I giggled when I saw him kind of lost, "You sure you can drive? I haven't seen you driving before."

"Of course I know how to drive." He started the engine. This guy's acting career was noticeably rising. He had various roles in small films, from a phone operator to Randolph Churchill in which he's just a jerk, nonetheless, the portrayal is great.

I had moved to London at that time and I worked in the British Museum. I remember I was knackered that day and went to bed at nine. I had just turned off the lights and my head had just touched the pillow when someone began to bang at the door to my flat. I got out of my room, not very happy to be interrupted and opened the door. It was Tom, he was smiling and almost jumping up and down in joy, "Come on in." I replied with my eyes half closed and walked towards the couch.

"Hi." He said.

"Hi?" He giggled, "Have you been told that you can be so odd all of a sudden?" He rolled his eyes and sat beside me as he put a manila envelope onto the coffee table without saying a word and only grinning at me, "What's that?" He wiggled his eyebrows. I frowned and grabbed the envelope pulling out a script, "Another film?" I smiled, it wasn't a TV film, "Oh gosh, is this..."

"Yep."

"Well done Hiddles, when is the release? I told you that I'm gonna be the first to buy the ticket for the cinema." He smiled.

"I'm not sure yet. Emma will be part of it too. But-"

"Aww, you'll be together in the film?" He nodded, "Gosh, Tom! I'm so proud of you two!" I wrapped my arms around him. It was amazing, "We have to-"

"I'm leaving." I stared at him.

"What?" He stood up and paced around the small living room.

"The film is being shot in Italy. Emma and I are leaving on Friday." I listened at him carefully, "We're going to live in the San Fabiano Estate." He was so happy, but I wasn't too happy, he was leaving, "I can't believe that this is my first big film! I'm so excited about this. You should've seen Emma's face when they told us that we were going to Italy, I'll send you pictures of the place and we can talk by email or with this thing Facebook, we can do it every day!"

"Yes!" It wasn't going to be the same though.

"Thank you Oaks!" He hugged me tight, and I knew he would stay like that for a while. I was feeling down. He was leaving. I didn't want that. I managed to hold back my feelings.

"Thanks? For what?" I rubbed his back.

"For being such an amazing friend and for all the support you've given me. I believe that, you've made all this possible, you're always there for me." I shut my eyes and swallowed the lump in my throat.

"I have nothing to do with this, Tom. You've done everything, you and your talent." I said softly.

"Oh no." He said and broke the hug, he knew when I was about to cry, "Hey, what's wrong?" He said softly to me and I shook my head, trying to be strong, "C'mon, tell me." Tom wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I couldn't anymore.

"There's nothing wrong, I'm just...happy for you, and Emma..." I saw him smiling and he hugged me again. Yes, I was happy, really, really happy. But I didn't want him to leave. I hated myself, I was being so selfish!

Nicole, he's only your friend, you have to understand that, he's got to live his life, besides, you won't be part of it forever whether you like it or not, you know that.

Fuck it.

"Tom, you're leaving!" I cried. He didn't say a word, he only hugged me tighter.

"I'll be back soon, I promise." He broke the hug and I took a deep breath, "Now, just stay here, I'll be right back." He said and he headed to the kitchen. I wiped my tears and combed my hair with my fingers. I had to calm down. I grabbed the script again and read the names of each character. I snorted when I read the name of Tom's character. I was feeling so odd. I didn't want to laugh, because I knew that it'd start as laughter but it'd turn into sobs. Pathetic. Tom walked into the living room with a glass of water and tissues, "There you go." I took the glass of water in my hands and took a sip.

"Seriously, your character's name's Oakley?" I asked trying to smile.

"What a coincidence, huh?" He made a funny face, "Yay! That's what I want to see, smile!" He shook my shoulder. I gave him a small smile. His phone buzzed and he pulled it out of his pocket, "Ugh, I have to go. I told Emma I'll pick her up." He made that face of sad puppy, "You okay?" I nodded.

"I'm okay." He hugged me, again. It didn't bother me, at all, "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too. But, hey! We still have three days, we can hang out and I swear, I'll reward you when I'm back from shooting."

"With pudding?" Again.

"Is there anything better?" I smiled and he touched the bracelet in my wrist with his fingers, "Thanks for everything, Oaks." He kissed my cheek, "You're my best friend."

❀❃❀❃❀

Imagine Tom comforting you. You're welcome!

Did you enjoy? Let me know in the comments! ❤

Love, Liz.