Chasing Cars (42)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter forty two

hello

I stay at my dad's house for the weekend this way, we can spend time together. I must say that I've gotten this habit now, also I've gotten the old habit of going for a run when I cannot sleep. I used to do it while I was in college and exams were killing me.

It was four in the morning and I was ready to leave my dad's house. I kissed goodbye Alex and placed his teddy bear under his arm, I automatically smiled every time I looked at that tiny man.

When I went downstairs, I tiptoed to the kitchen to get an apple and I left the place after leaving a note on the counter telling dad I was out.

I had been running for about twenty minutes, so I was quite far from home and I regreted for not taking my iPod with me, but I was too lazy to run back home, I had my phone but I had forgotten my earbuds.

I reached Trafalgar Square, which is about an hour from my dad's house and two from mine. I ran round the fountain and then I looked for a place where I could take a break, behind the lion statue seemed a good place. I sat down and pulled my knees near my chest and wrapped my arms around them.

I liked it. The silence, and it made me close my eyes and focus only on sounds. The footsteps of the people that ran or walked by. A few cars would pass by as well. I opened my eyes again checked the time on my phone, it was only five in the morning. My eyes darted at the figure of a man in a blue hoodie who was stretching and I remembered that I didn't warm up before running. I thought on going back home and prepare breakfast for dad, so I stood up and folded my arms over my chest as a reflex to the cold weather. At the same time, the man -who was actually, Tom- turned in my direction, my mouth hung open for a few seconds until I managed to curse under my breath, "The heck is he doing here?!" I whispered, it was obvious, he couldn't sleep either. It was one of our ways to cope with sleepless nights.

My attempt to walk away was frustrated since he looked up and he saw me. His eyes widened and we got paralysed since we never expected to see each other that morning.

I was the first to break eye contact and stared at the ground but I could feel Tom's eyes still on me which made me feel nervous as hell. I panicked when I saw him walking towards me and I thought I would pass out. He was standing right in front of me now, but I could only stare at his trainers.

"Hello." I felt a tremor running down my spine at the sound of his voice. I looked up at him but not quite sure how to look him in the eye again. I was about to answer when he pulled me into a tight hug and I knew he wouldn't let go soon and I collapsed against his chest. I just felt weak and so did my knees but he held me all the time. He apologised over and over again, whispering at my ear while I only could hug him and bury my face in his chest. We ended up sitting on the ground and muted.

"Remember when I pushed you into the fountain?" He said softly and I couldn't help but snort and smile. He looked at me and gave me that beautiful smile of his.

"I do remember that."

"Oaks, I need a moment with you. Just the two of us." He said.

"What do you mean?"

"I know we need to talk, but first, would you have breakfast with me?"

"Tom, I-"

"Homemade breakfast."

"I can't. I have to go back home and make breakfast for dad and the baby." It was a terrible excuse and Tom knew it. Dad could make breakfast and take care of the baby while I was with Tom.