Chasing Cars (26)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter twenty six

meeting the cast

We walked into the restaurant and the waiter headed us to a private area. I was really, really nervous and excited to meet everyone. We followed the waiter through a corridor and he opened a door and I saw them. They turned to see us and I felt the eyes on me and the greetings and gasps of surprise began.

"Oh my God!" Scarlett stood up and walked towards us, "Tom, I thought these guys were lying! Nicole, it's a pleasure to meet you!" She hugged me.

"My pleasure."

"You look beautiful!" I glanced at Tom, he gave me the I-told-you look.

"Thank you. It was difficult to choose an outfit for tonight. I packed mostly formal clothes for work." We sat at the table and I was interviewed by everyone, I got even more nervous when Chris Evans asked about my tennis skills, he was wearing a skin tight tee, he was looking amazing.

"Tom said something about it, he said you were pretty good at tennis." He said.

"Yes, I was good. I injured my ankle pretty bad and, when it healed, it always hurt a litte so I decided not to play tennis again." I said. But the chattering during the dinner wasn't only about me, Robert and Jeremy made lots of jokes and I almost choked. Tom and Chris were talking about the premiere in Australia and then they were talking about Elsa and the family.

"We have to go to your house." Mark said jokingly.

"Elsa said that you have to go. She's been planning something for you all." Chris H. said.

Robert was in all the conversations, shouting his opinions to the small groups that had formed and that were constantly switching members and topics.

Scarlett called me to sit with her in the couch on the other side of the room while the boys began to talk about silly things that, according to Scarlett, were pointless and they didn't worth the effort to listen.

"Imagine, I have to spend the entire day with those kids." She said as she sipped her margarita. The guys were, in fact, like a group of children when the teacher leaves the classroom, "But they're good people. So, you guys met when kids, you and Tom."

"Yes, I don't really know what to say now. Tom has told you a lot about me so, I think there's no too much left to talk."

"Actually, I don't know too much about you, that's Hemsworth, he and Tom are very close friends since Thor. Tom has only told me a few things about you."

"Oh, and what might those things be?" I said.

"Not too much, honestly, how you met, when you saw each other for the first time in college, and the last thing he said was that he needed to contact you as soon as possible." I smiled and looked at the table with the guys. Chris E. was talking about how would it be to be bald or something like that.

"I was desperate to know about him. I know I could have googled him, but, I wanted to talk to him, not read all that stuff that probably was a lie."

"There wasn't a day in which he wouldn't say, I need to call her, I saw him a couple of times when you were calling and he couldn't get the call because of the broken screen, the poor guy was as broken as the screen. He used our phones too."

"And I didn't answer. The thing is that I never answer unknown numbers, and he knows that."

"He said that maybe you'd answer." She said smiling, "And what brought you to New York?"

"Work." Scarlett nodded, "I'll be working at the Natural History Museum for nearly two weeks, then I'll go back to England. I didn't even know that the film was being filmed here, I knew thanks to the taxi driver this morning."

"You arrived this morning?! You must be so tired!" I smiled.

"Yes, after dinner, I'm going straight to bed." She smiled, "Tom said you were heading back to California when you finish here."

"I already completed my scenes. Whedon said that there were no need to re-shoot so, I'm free and I'm gonna enjoy those free days since the propromotional tour is close and then back to work. Will you come with us?" Errrrm...

"No, I don't think-"

"C'mon, you heard Hemsworth. We're going to his house and you'll meet his family. Tom is obviously going to ask you."

"No, it's work. I don't want to be a burden and I can't go to Australia, I have to work." She chuckled.

"Think about it, it'd be great." We turned at the table when Mark called Scarlett and she went with the boys. I sat in there sipping my drink and staring blankly at the flower pot in the corner. I began to think about work, it was going to be so boring and stressing, I already wanted to go home, except for Tom. I wished we had more time, but he had to leave to California and I'd be stuck in the museum.

"Nic?" I looked up at the tall figure next to me.

"Mmm?"

"This is the fourth time I call your name, you okay?" Tom said as he sat next to me and placing an arm over the couch back.

"Yeah, I was-"

"Thinking." I smiled, "What was it you wanted to tell me?" I frowned.

"I didn't want to tell you anything." I rested my head on his shoulder as I yawned.

"Scarlett said you wanted to tell me something."

"No?" Ohh, playing Cupid.

"Anyway, I'm here. Are you tired aleady? Shall I take you to the hotel?" I checked the time, it was ten past eleven. How on earth did that happen? I guess I had fun as I lost track of time.

"I don't know." He snorted.

"You don't know?"

"I don't want to leave yet." I said and giggled when I saw his face, "What were you eating?"

"Dessert, it was chocolate cake."

"Were you eating it or using it as a facial cream? You know I hate when you do this, Thomas Alexander." He chuckled.

"You won't stop calling me that, right?" He asked as I rummaged into my bag in search for that small package of portable Kleenex and pulled out a tissue, "You always carry these things, don't you?" He said.

"You said you liked the name and yes, I always make sure to have these things with me, mostly when I'm with you since I know this can happen." I said rubbing the tissue on his chin, "There you go."

"Thanks. Now, about the name, I was thinking of naming my child like that, it's a good strong name. Thomas Alexander." I chuckled, "And I'll tell him that his auntie Oaks chose the name."

"I didn't choose anything. I just said the name and you liked it, it is different." He smiled and there was a pause. My phone buzzed. It was a text from Lila, something about work.

"Hey, do you want to come and see the set? Or, do you want to see the shooting tomorrow?"

"Can I?"

"Sure. But, it'll start early in the morning."

"The heck are you all doing? You have to be on set in the morning and you're still up?!"

"If Joss doesn't know won't kill him, right?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Loki has changed you. Definitely your dark side has grown thanks to him." He smiled, "We should leave now. You have to sleep and I'm tired."

"Alright. But remember, we're still having dinner tomorrow."

"How could I forget about that?"