Chasing Cars (6)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter six

surprise!

"Hi Joe, how's Maddie and the baby?" I asked for one of my co-workers as I walked past him through the corridor.

"She's okay, thanks for asking." I smiled at him and continued my way.

The museum usually closed at half past eight, but I used to stay late almost every day, because I wanted. It was nice to stroll around when it was empty. I got in the room 63, where the mummies on display in the Egyptian Death and Afterlife Galleries are.

Tom had been away for nearly ten months. We had been in touch. Email, phone calls, Facebook. He had sent me lots of pictures of himself and Emma, at the beach, on set, he told me that they actually lived there, in the house that the characters rent in the film. My phone buzzed inside my pocket. It was my boyfriend.

"Hey you, what's up? Oh, no...I'm going straight home, and it's raining, we can have dinner tomorrow, yeah, sorry. Okay, bye." I sighed and slid my phone inside my pocket, and turned around, "Hello?" I asked and the silence replied. I thought someone was in the room. I walked closer to one of the exhibitions and I heard footsteps, "Joe? Is that you?" Again, no one answered, "Joe, stop it." I said a little angry and scared. I turned around to the exhibition.

"Pst!" I turned again.

"Joe, this isn't funny, okay?"

"Pst!" Gosh, what if it was a freak and he waited until the museum closed to steal something, kill someone or worse, kill me. I began to walk faster, and just like in horror films, a thunder crossed the sky and the power went off and on in a blink of an eye. I kept walking, but someone took me by the arm, I screamed and hit the man in the chest, like he was killing me.

"Hey! It's me!" He let go.

"Oh youuuu!" I growled, but my anger vanished and hugged Tom, "How did you get here?! How did you find me?!"

"Why too many questions?" He said and I chuckled, "First, I hid until the place was empty, second, you told me that this was your favourite part of the museum, the mummies, creepy." He raised and eyebrow and I stared at him smiling.

"You're a kid." I put my hand over his face, "When did you come back? I didn't expect to see you, soon, I thought you'd be back any other day, but today, wow." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"The plane landed this afternoon." I narrowed my eyes, "Okay, it landed one hour ago." I shook my head.

"How's Emma, by the way?"

"She's alright, excited to be back." He slid his hands into his pockets and cocked his head, "Why are you so quiet?" He asked.

"Am I?" He nodded, "I don't know." I shrugged. Actually, I didn't know why.

"Hey, you hungry? Let's go get supper."

"Okay." It jumped off my mouth, "I'll get my coat." When we got out of the museum, the rain was only a drizzle, "And when is the release?" I asked.

"October."

"I need to get the ticket." He chuckled under his breath, "What?"

"Nothing." I frowned, "There's something different in you." He grabbed my arm and we stopped walking, and he began to scan me from head to toe, I couldn't help but giggle, "You cut your hair, didn't you?" I shook my head.

"I haven't done anything to my appearance."

"Really? I don't know, you look, different. You look good." I scoffed.

"And that means I looked bad before?"

"No, you always look good." He smile. The rain began to pour all of a sudden and both looked up like idiots and ran under the awning of a coffee shop, "Here, take my jacket."

"What? No, I have a coat by the way. I'm alright, we need a cab!" I giggled. Not even a cab on the street, only the pouring rain.

"We'll have to do it like that time in college." Oh God. He took off his jacket and put it over my head, "We'll have to run. Glad to know that you still hate high heels." He pointed at my trainers.

"Actually, I wear high heels for work, this is the day they let me dress like this." I stuck out my tongue.

"Kid." He pushed me to a side, "Okay, let's go." He began to run. Gosh, he was too fast, "I bet I can get to your flat first!" He shouted at the poor girl who ran behind him covering her head with his jacket, "I bet I'm still faster than you Oaks!"

"Ah no, Hiddleston!" I stopped covering my head with his and began to run after him. The streets were emty and all you could hear was the rain hitting the roofts and the parked cars, "I'm gonna get you!" This is gonna sound weird, but even though we were old enough to take care of ourselves, when we were together, we were still kids.

It was difficult to see with the rain hitting me on the face but I did it, I got to my flat first. Well, knowing Tom, he possibly let me win, but I didn't care, "Thanks for the jacket." I said as we stepped across the door and I handed him the wet jacket.

"You're welcome." He smirked running his fingers through his hair. His bouncy curls were dripping, well, they were not exactly curls in that moment. I opened the door and both walked in. It was a good idea to leave my bag in my office (which is just a four square metres room with a small desk and a tiny couch) I only brought my phone and the keys, "Oaks?" I heard Tom asking from the bathroom.

"Yep?"

"Do you miraculously have, clothes that I can borrow?" Neither of us thought about it.

"Erm...let me see if I find anything that fits you." I went to my wardrobe, I used to keep oversized clothes all the time, they're cosy for sleeping, but Tom was obviously bigger than me. I found a grey shirt and a blue pair of pyjamas trousers and knocked on the bathroom door, "I think this will fit you." He opened the door, "The t-shirt it's kind of girly though." I showed him the tee with a big flower on the front.

"Any kind of clothing would be perfect right now, I just need something to cover myself." He said taking the clothes in his hands.

❀❃❀❃❀

Thank you so much to everyone who's reading my book! Thank you, I love you!

Love, Liz.