Chasing Cars (34)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter thirty four

morning after

"Hello?" I called. I walked into a big house, it was my parents house, but it seemed unknown to me, like I had never been in there. I kept walking, the TV was on, although no-one was watching it. I paced to the kitchen someone was baking a cake, there was a half chopped carrot on the worktop, "Is anyone at home?"

"Hi, how are you feeling today?" A woman asked me and I jumped at her sudden question. It was Lila.

"I'm alright, I guess." She only smiled and walked away, "Wait, what am I doing here?" She didn't hear me. I reached the dining room and I found a cold cuppa on it, I jerked when the doorbell rang, I thought the woman I had seen before would open but she didn't seem to be in the house anymore. I walked towards the main door and opened it. There stood a tall man with curly brownish hair and bright blue eyes, he was smiling at me. Tom.

"I'm back!" He said and I felt like paralysed when he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a warm hug.

"Get off me!" I said. He looked puzzled.

"Why? Are you angry?"

"Of course I'm angry! You just can go around hugging people, I don't even know you!" I said, his facial expression darkened, of course I knew who he was.

"Nicole, what are you talking about? Are you doing this because I couldn't call you? I know it's been four months, but, I was busy."

"Just go away or I'll call the police."

"Nicky, it's me, Tom." He said letting out a small chuckle.

"Don't even try to touch me!" I jerked my arm to get his hand off it, "I've never seen you in my life!"

"What do you mean? Nicky, we know each other since kids!"

"Why don't you stop calling me Nicky? What? Is she your girlfriend?"

"Nicky, stop playing. This isn't funny!" He said louder and his voice cracked, "Nicky, you've got to remember me. Just because your mother had it doesn't mean you've got it to." He tried you touch my face and I slapped his hand away, I shut the door, "Nicole, open the door!" He punched at it, "Nicole! Oaks, open the bloody door!" I crouched and covered my ears to muffle the sound but it seemed louder evere second that passed by, "You can't have this disease! You're too young, Nicole, open up! You can't be ill, you just can't!" It was only one of the many nightmares I used to have with Tom, with Clay, with people at work, with l my father or with any other person, I was getting used to not knowing who they were in my dreams, but the first time wasn't funny at all.

I opened my eyes and was welcomed by a bright and blinding light which made my head hurt as hell. I was lying on my stomach and grabbed the pillow to cover my face from the light, but it was in vain, my head was killing me.

Oh, right, the party. I drank too much. I shouldn't have had vodka, neither tequila. I remember talking to Chris Hemsworth about his family, but that was before I had two pints, Scarlett said something about my dress, then tequila shots. Robert singing. I danced with Evans. I kissed To- I did wHAT?! Oh gosh, I'm a stupid, what's he gonna think now?! God, God, Godddd! First stay calm, probably he was too drunk too and he won't remember, yeah, that's a possibility. Ouch! My body hurts! I need pain killers, ugh, but they're too far from bed, just stay in bed, it might help.

I stretched under the covers and hugged a pillow, I noticed how comfortable my bed felt that morning. The pillow I was hugging, smelled like aftershave cologne, Tom's cologne, to be more precise. I opened my eyes and distinguished the blue curtains and the bookshelves on a side, the painting in the wall, it was definitely Tom's bedroom. Maybe I was so drunk that I couldn't make it and I had to stay at his place. The memory of the chauffeur was kind of a blur. I slipped my hand under the covers to scratch my tummy, I frowned there was something weird that morning. I looked under the covers and noticed my lack of clothes.