Chasing Cars (17)

❀❃❀❃

chapter seventeen

get over it

[September 2010]

I didn't even go to New Mexico, both of us were too busy. That day I got a call in the morning. I had just got out of the shower and was combing my hair when the phone rang, "Hello?"

"Hi, Oaks. How are you?" I smiled.

"Hey, I'm great. To what do I owe this honour?" I asked and Tom laughed on the other end of the line.

"I'm calling you to tell you that I'm back."

"Oh, really?! Gosh, that's amazing!"

"Well, I'm on the film location. Castle Combe near Chippenham, and I was thinking, would you like to come over?"

"What, today?" It was Saturday, "Of course! I'd love to."

"Okay, I'll send someone to pick you up, I want to see you. Oh, and you're definitely horseback riding."

"Don't know how to do it."

"No problem, I'll teach you, get your boots on and see you later."

"Okay, see you then. Bye." I hung up. I was wearing my pyjamas since I was expecting to spend the day at home, after the call I went to my wardrobe and changed into a white top, a pair of khaki bottoms and the boots. Then, I waited.

The trip in the car lasted about two hours. I fell asleep in the back seat. The driver said that I had to wait for Tom in his trailer, which I did and got bored as hell.

I looked for food in the small fridge, "Oh, Tom." There was a plate with untouched food, with his name on it, "Man, you've got to eat." I grabbed the one with the label 'breakfast', and put it in the microwave.

I checked the time, it was ten past two in the afternoon. I had already two hours locked in his trailer. I would have gone and explored the place, but I didn't know anyone. I lay down after eating the food. I don't even know if I fell asleep, but the silence helped me to relax.

But that silence didn't last long enough, as Tom swung the door open, making mee jump and curse under my breath, "Tom! Oh my God you scared me!" I stood up and hugged him.

"Nic! Hi, how are you?!"

"I'm great! A little tired." I noticed the uniform he was wearing, "This is fantastic, I love it." I brushed the badge above the jacket breast pocket with my fingertips. He looked great dressed up as a soldier. He took off his cap and put in on my head.

"Good to see you." He pulled me into a hug, "I'm so happy to see you Oaks. How was your trip?"

"Erm, I do t know, I fell asleep. I'm happy to see you too." Someone knocked on the door and Tom broke the hug to open it. It was a woman with his lunch. Tom thanked her and I sat down in the couch again, I grabbed the riding crop in my hands.

"Are you hungry?" He gave me the plate with his lunch, "Please." I raised my hand to stop him. It was the only the only thing I hated about him, "You must be hungry." Always being so polite, but I liked it too.

"No, I-"

"Take it, I'll be fine."

"No, thanks. I ate, what was supposed to be your breakfast, I'm not hungry. Thank you." After giving me a half smile, Tom turned around and placed the plate onto the small dining table.

"Alright."

"You must eat your lunch. I'm not the one who's got to stay strong and film for hours and hours." I smiled.

"I see that you come ready." Tom looked at me from head to toe and pointed at my clothes, "I'll get you a horse and then I'll show you the place." He began to undo his tie and take off his jacket and his shirt, revealing a slim but strong chest...oh my God, stop! Anyway, Tom walked towards the closet and pulled out a blue V-neck tee and a pair of blue jeans.

"I'll be right back." He said before walking into the toilet. I waited there in the couch. For some reason, the only thing that made me feel giddy was seeing his bare chest. Maybe I was just getting over it, I just had to be strong and survive a day next to him.