Chasing Cars (32)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter thirty two

twist

I think I had never been so scared since I was ten. All I could do was hug Tom and shake like a leaf whispering and stuttering my words, well, I wasn't hugging him at all, I was strangling him and burying my nails into his skin.

"I won't let you drown."

"I'm gonna drown, Tom, I'm gonna drown, I'm gonna die!" I just wanted to get out of that lake.

"You're not going to die, I'm here. Nothing's going to happen, just calm down, it's just water."

"But it's deep and, and you- and the-"

"Hush, it's okay. You're not going to drown. It's all fine." He said, "Just, get off me and take my hands, I'm not letting you down." The water reached Tom's chest, that meant that it'd cover me entirely, except for my head, but it scared me like hell. When he said we had to get rid of my phobia, I never thought it'd be two days after he considered the idea.

"I hate you, I hate you, you know this scares me, you fucking know Tom, oh my God." He chuckled. Now that I think about it, I must have looked so funny, just like I had escaped from the asylum, "No!" I cried when I felt his grip losen for a second and I wrapped my arms around his neck, making him lose his balance and he pulled me near. Our faces were too close and he stared right into my eyes, he was so close but yet so far.

"I'm not letting you drown." He said softly and I nodded, "Nic." I stared at him, "You, you're hurting me." I didn't even notice that I was pulling his hair.

"I'm sorry." He smiled.

"I think, we should leave now." I nodded. I was feeling relieved, but I regretted a little for being a coward and don't kiss him in that moment, we were centimetres apart! I could have blamed my phobia and all the adrenaline pumping into my veins, but apparently, it wasn't enough to kiss him.

Tom was singing to himself the song playing on the radio, "So, tomorrow you're going out with Claire." I said, inquiring and breaking the silence.

"Yes." He said, "We, chatted the rest of the party, and she told me that, she couldn't go out for dinner, so, I invited her for breakfast."

"That's cool." I guess.

"What about you? Do you want to have dinner with me?"

"I'd love to, but, Clay's staying at my place and, I'm gonna spend the day with him, sorry." Yes, it was true, but I wanted so badly to have dinner with Tom.

"Maybe, the next day?"

"Maybe." He smiled and the silence filled the air again. I closed my eyes and focused my mind on the song playing on the radio.

"Oaks?"

"Mmm?"

"There's a party in two weeks, at a hotel, with the cast. We'll celebrate that the filming has ended, um, do you want to come?" A party. I looked at him.

"Are you sure I can? I mean, I'm not even part of the film."

"Of course you can! It's only a party, but bigger than the party from the other day. Producer, stunts, the hairdressers, the cast, everyone will be there."

"Okay. Sounds fun." I smiled, "It'll be nice to see everyone again." I said. Oh God, if I had known what was going to happen in that party, I wouldn't have gone, not even being out of my mind.

The next day, the impossible happened. Clay said he wanted to spend the day with me. Odd. He woke me up early and we watched the sunrise. It was beautiful. I had already seen a sunrise but, my life was a little bit busy so, I hadn't seen one in a while.