Chasing Cars (33)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter thirty three

vodka and kisses

"It's a horror film." Tom said and nudged me. We were at his place and we decided to spend a few days together, since Clay flew to Scotland, this was the third day at his place and the next day we were going to the party.

"Can we watch something less stressing and scary?" I asked.

"What? Are you scared already?" He turned off the lights and the TV was the only one illuminating us, "I dare you to watch it."

"Okay."

"Seriously? You'll cry and you won't be able to sleep."

"I won't cry."

"You're gonna watch it?"

"Yeah, I don't think it's a big deal." And I was wrong. The film was boring at first. Typical, the family moves to a house that nobody wants, strange things happen by night. Both of us were eating popcorn and I had already finished my bowl so I grabbed a bunch from Tom's bowl.

The woman in the film was standing in the middle of a dark room, it was the attic. Something awful was going to happen, I could sense that.

"You okay?" Tom asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay." He nodded.

"Can you, stop squeezing my wrist?" My eyes darted a it and I released him.

"Sorry."

"We can stop watching the film, it's late anyway." It was eleven twenty, "We should be asleep already. I didn't refuse to stop watching the film. He stood up and turned on the lights.

I got into the bedroom and crawled into bed. Soon after, Tom did the same. I was hoping to have our usual chattering before sleeping, but as soon he turned off the lights, he said "Good night, Oaks."

What?! No! Are you gonna leave me alone here in the darkness?! We just watched a horror film and you're gonna fall asleep?! Is that even possible?!

"Are you gonna sleep already?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm knackered."

"Oh, good night then."

"Good night." He said and rolled on his side. I was facing his back in that huge bed, if I stretched my arm I couldn't even reach him, not even brush him with my fingertips.

I glanced at the red numbers of the alarm clock on the bedside table. 12:18 AM.

"Tom?" He didn't answer, I sat up and moved closer to him to shake his shoulder, "Tom?"

"Mmm?" He groaned.

"Are you asleep?"

"I was asleep." He buried his face in the pillow, "What do you want?"

"You don't have to be that rude."

"Sorry, I was having a nice dream and you just spoiled it. Are you okay?"

"I can't sleep." He chuckled, "It's not funny."

"It is funny, for me. I told you that you wouldn't be able to sleep after the film." He said.

"Was it on purpose?"

"Yep. There's room for two." He said, lifting the covers. I lay next to him and he wrapped his arms around me, "Good night, Oaks."

"Good night, Tom."