Chasing Cars (13)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter thirteen

new look

I was at home that afternoon, sitting in front of my laptop, I had a lot to do with the new exhibition at the museum. Lila and I were doing everything to do it right, but, it was really complicated. The museum of Scotland was going to send some stuff to complete the collection and intoduce it as the latest exhibition and blah, blah, blah. We spent like two weeks planning everything.

My phone began to buzz next to the mug on the table. I saw the ID and the picture of Tom on the screen and automatically smiled, "Greetings Hiddles, what's up?"

"Greetings Oaks, meh, not too much. Are you at home?" He asked and I tapped my pen on the table.

"Yep, why?"

"I'm on my way, I need to show you something." I looked at the clock in the wall, the clock was about to struck six and I was starving.

"Okay, you know where the key is, I'm gonna prepare something to eat."

"Oh, that's perfect. Okay, I'll be there in about ten minutes."

"Okay, see you then."

"Bye." I hung up. It was probably about the new film. He had been training for almost six months to gain muscle, and God he did it. He let his hair grow out for this role Thor in a Marvel production but he didn't get the role, they told him that he'd make a good villain instead. Oh, and, he was leaving to New Mexico in January. Yes, it was going to be hard for me.

I went to the kitchen and pulled out all I was going to need from the fridge. Tom was obviously joining, I only made a pause to put on some music. I heard the door creaking open and heard his footsteps, "Hey, you're on time to put the potatoes in the oven." He didn't answer, "Oh, I talked with my boss today, do you know what he said?! He said that he needed more creativity in the bloody exhibition and-" I turned to face him and I froze. I dropped my jaw when I saw him leaning on the door frame with his hair dyed black and that smile on his lips. His curls were still there, typically messy, but in perfect accomodation at the same time, that dishevelled look suited him. His eyes looked even bluer with his black hair. I stood in the middle of the kitchen with a knife in my hand, staring at him, he was looking so...

"I brought some ice cream." He looked at me, "Are you having a stroke or something? Do I look that bad?"

No, you look utterly attractive.

"No, wow...you, you look good." He walked closer and grabbed the knife from my hand, "Really good." I muttered.

"Give me that, you're gonna hurt someone." I smiled, "You like it?

"I like what?" Tom chuckled and touched my nose with his finger, I still was like spaced out, I don't know.

"Do you like how it looks?" He ruffled his hair and stared at me waiting for an answer which I managed to formulate when my brain switched on again.

"Yes, I love it! You look amazing." I touched his hair, "At least it's shorter than before."

"So, what were you saying about the exhibition?" He asked.

"The exhibition? Oh, I forgot. It's a lot of stuff, yeah. Now, you Lucky-"

"Loki."

"Loki, take those potatoes." When dinner was ready, we ate on the floor as the table was filled with the museum stuff, papers everywhere. We ate in silence as we listened to the music and I glanced at him from time to time while I toyed with the piece of carrot on my plate. It was odd to see him with jet-black hair. In the last month I noticed that I had changed, I always felt kind of nervous when he was around, which was almost all the time, I started to make excuses to see him, I almost died when he hugged me and more when he gave me kisses on the cheek.

I've always cared for my physical appearance, but it got worse when Tom was near, I used to check if my hair was okay, if my makeup was okay, my clothes, stuff like that.

"A penny for your thoughts." Tom said in a deep but soft voice making me sit up straight and look up at him.

"How long will you stay in New Mexico?"

"Four months, or more. I'm not sure." I sighed, "What?" Tom cocked his head and gave me that puppy face.

"Nothing. I'm tired."

"No, you're not." It was a little hard to lie, we knew everything about each other, "C'mon." He stood up and offered his hand, "Do you wanna dance?"

"What?" I chuckled, "How are we gonna dance at 'I'm yours' rhythm?"

"We can change the radio station. Now, don't leave me hanging here." I looked at his hand. Now every single physical contact was an adventure to me, he'd come from behind and hug me from time to time and I'd feel shivers all over my body.

"I, don't like to dance, you know that-"

"C'mon." He grabbed my hand and pulled from it, I stood up.

"I look like a stupid when I dance."

"Nobody's watching, just me."

"And that's good, because?"

"Because I like to see you happy, and you look happy when you dance, you just have to enjoy it and you don't have to care of what others might say."

"Okay, but honestly, I don't want to do it. My stomach hurts a little, I ate too much." And it was true.

"But we haven't had the dessert. I brought ice cream for nothing." Tom walked into the kitchen and returned with the ice cream and two spoons, "You want?" I shook my head, "Okay, more for me." I rolled my eyes.

I decided to continue with the exhibition thing, so I took my laptop and grabbed some sweets from my bag and threw one at Tom, "There you go Hiddleston." He took the sweet and narrowed his eyes, "What? It's a sweet, it's not like it's got poison or anything."

"More sugar? Okay, but I won't be able to sleep tonight." I sat next to him and began typing, still talking about random stuff, "Can you stop that?" Tom asked, I was chewing the sweet I had in my mouth, and I was making a lot of noise.

"Why? It's...argh!"

"What?"

"Oh my God! My molar!" It hurt. I stood up and ran to the toilet and opened my mouth in front of the mirror, "Gosh..." I spat the pieces of sweet in the wash basin and there it was, a little piece of my molar!

"You okay?" Tom asked.

"My molar broke." He didn't believe me, "My molar broke! See? I've got it here." I showed him the small piece of in my hand.

"Let me see, open your mouth."

"What? No!"

"Nicole, open your mouth right now!" I did as he said, "Mmm, you've got pretty teeth."

"...hut up..."

"What? Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying." I was still with my mouth open.

"Shut up."

"We're going to the dentist tomorrow." Ugh, noo! Well, I changed my dentist, but it was the same clinic, I didn't want to go like that, I wanted to book an appointment and make sure that I wouldn't see Miles.

"No, I'm okay. I can go some other day."

"Mmm, I don't think so. We're going tomorrow, I'll take you, it will hurt if you don't do anything." He checked the time in his watch, "I have to go now, thanks for everything, I'll come tomorrow around ten in the morning, we are going to the dentist wherter you like it or not."

"Gosh, Tom. I can go by my own, thanks."

"Ten in the morning, be ready. He leaned over and kissed my forehead, I felt a warm sensation and the need of giggle, but thank God, I held back myself, "Good night, Oaks."

"Good night."