Chasing Cars (35)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter thirty five

invitations and texts

[Two weeks later]

"Have you got the invitations?" I asked to Lila, my bridesmaid. I hadn't said anything to her and I hadn't seen Tom ever since. He's sent a couple of texts and I've called him a couple of times, but it's awkward.

"Yep, whoa, you're only inviting thirty people? You don't have friends, do you?" I chuckled.

"I've got friends, but I don't want a lot of people getting drunk, stuff could happen, stuff they might not want to happen."

"Okay? Oh, what time is Clay coming? He said he was going to help with this."

"Apparently, one of his sisters is ill and he went to visit her." I wrote the name of one of my mum's friends on the envelope, "Tanya Davidson, check." I grabbed another and checked the names on my list, "Diana." Tom's mum. Of course she was invited, and Sarah and Emma, but I didn't know what to do with Tom.

"You alright?"

"Yes." I scribbled their names on the envelope and grabbed another one to write Tom's name on it, "I'm alright." The main door creaked open and we heard Clay tossing the keys on the couch, "Well, he's early at least." I said softly and he stepped into the dining room, "How's your sister?"

"It's just a cold, she always overreacts, can I help?" He sat next to me and kissed my cheek.

"Actually, we already finished." Lila said, smiling, "And it's late, so, I'd better be off, I've got to read for tomorrow's meeting." She stood up, "The big day is in one month! I'm so excited guys, but I must go." I smiled.

"Thanks for helping, I'll see you tomorrow." I said. She said goodbye and left the flat. Planning a wedding is stressing, even if it's only a small one. Clay wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me into a hug.

"You've been distracted lately, is everything okay?"

"Wedding nerves?" He kissed my forehead, "I don't know. But everything's gonna be fine." I tapped his knee and squeezed his thigh, "Tickles."

"Stop! Do not do that again." I chuckled.

"Why? It's funny to see you blushing and screaming like a little girl." He smiled, "We should go to bed now, it's Monday tomorrow." I stood up and headed to the bathroom to get rid of my makeup. I was about to finish when I saw him leaning on the doorway and I only smiled at him, but he came and hugged me from behind.

"Don't you want to play a little before going to sleep?" I snorted and he tickled my sides, "C'mon." He lifted me and carried me in his arms.

"I still have makeup on the half of my face."

"It doesn't matter, dear." I rolled my eyes.

The next day, after work, I went with Lila to see the cake and the dress. We were having dinner at a small restaurant when my phone buzzed. It was a text from Tom.

Tom - 7:36 PM
How are you?

Even texting was kind of awkward.

Nicole - 7:40 PM
I'm okay, thank you. What about you?

I set my phone on my thigh and continued eating. Lila was a very quiet one at the table, so we were not talking. The phone buzzed again.

Tom - 7:43 PM
Glad to hear that. I'm fine, I just got home from the airport.