Chasing Cars (16)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter sixteen

chat

March arrived and Tom had left to the States in January, just like he said. I continued with my routine and spent most of the time with mum and friends from work. Tom and I used to chat once or twice a week as he was too busy with the film. He said that the cast was very friendly and that he had fallen in love with New Mexico, and that he enjoyed to go horseback riding there, he said that he felt like a cowboy. Anyway, I tried to pull myself together and I psychoanalysed myself, I had to recognise that something more than friendship wasn't going to happen between us.

I distracted myself going out, visiting friends, doing some charity, but mostly spending time with mum, of course. She was getting rather ill, mum couldn't walk anymore and could barely speak. I did my best to go to the hospital and visit her every day. It was painful to see her lying in that hospital bed, but I could not leave her.

"What about you Nic?" Lila asked. She and a couple of friends were talking about clothes while eating hamburgers. I love clothes but, I'm not talking about clothes the whole day, "Were you daydreaming again?" She said.

"Thinking, it's different." I said.

"If you say so. We were talking about going to the beach this summer."

"That's great."

"Why are you so boring? Come on, let's go to the beach, we're going to have fun!" Yes, I'd love to, but first, I'm too lazy to go there and second, I wanted to stay with mum.

"No, I can't. I have to take care of my mum. She needs me." Lila was the only one who seemed to understand, the other two girls were like: C'mon, she doesn't even know who you are. It didn't really matter to me. Each second spent on her, was the best thing I could do.

I left the restaurant before everyone else, I had things to do. That day was the day when I stayed in the hospital, I used to sleep in a ridiculously small sofa, and surrounded by the sounds of the machines monitoring my mum's vitals.

A nurse would come and check on her every twenty minutes. I didn't see the point of it, as the machines were doing its job, she only came to bother. It was eleven thirty and I was on my laptop doing nothing but checking Facebook, the chat alert echoed in the room and I startled glancing at mum, she was still asleep. I looked at the screen again.

Tom is online.

Tom has sent you a message.

It was Tom. He created an account only for his friends and his family. He wanted to keep it as a secret. He was winning fans, lots of them and I don't reckon that anyone wants a thousand of people sending you messages to your personal account, so it must stay as a secret. I read the message.

I just made the maths, London is seven hours ahead, what are you doing up at these hours?-Tom

...

Night at the hospital. Cannot sleep. How are u?-Nic

...

I'm all right, actually I'm in my trailer, I just took off my costume. -Tom

...

Oh, I've seen some posters around, you look evil and I did my research, oh you god of mischief great Lord of lies - Nic