V: Time that is wrong and a perfect song

Sweet chapter. For Amber and Blake. Enjoy! :))))

~

5

            I met with Blake at the back of the mansion while remaining inconspicuous—well, not entirely. Before I could even leave the party, there were numerous guests who wanted to talk to me and converse about the state of the country at present. I just gave them apologetic smiles as I walked away. I wasn’t the president of the country for crying out loud.

            “I thought we were in a hurry, princess. You still want to chat with them?” Blake asked as we descended the porch stairs. He was wearing an off-white tuxedo with a black button-down on the inside and a peach-colored bow tie to finish it off—making him stand out from all of the men inside the ball room.

            “Please. As if I could bear doing that.”

            He turned to me and threw me his lopsided grin. An all playful smile.

            “Miss McKinley, may I ask where you are headed to?” A sudden voice spoke behind us.

            We froze in place and looked at each other to find a reasonable enough excuse using telepathy. At least that was what I thought but then, I didn’t know how to use it. We turned towards the direction of the guard but still looked at each other with panic.

            “We were actually—“ I started but Blake had cut me off.

            “Heading out to fetch the surprise for the president and for the first lady.”

            The guard looked confused for a moment but he let it go easily. He even led us to my car and told us to drive safely. Blake and I nodded in approval and because we didn’t want to be late, he revved out of the parking lot and into the open road.

            “That was a close one,” he finally muttered, his hands clenched around the steering wheel.

            “Yeah. But I guess he believed us,” I added as I heard the click of my seatbelt.

            “We’re awesome.”

            “Yes, we are.”

            “Where to, princess?”

            “Downtown.”

            “Why?”

            “What do mean by ‘why?’ We’re going to the VerizonCenter. It’s downtown,” I exclaimed, my tone slipping into a duh-voice.

            “You’re way too cranky. I was just messing with you.”

            “That’s because!”

            “Because what?” He looked at me with a confused expression on his face.

            I felt my eyes widen. “Eyes on the road, stupid!”

            “Nope. Because what?” He questioned me once more.

            “Nothing! Eyes on the road! Now!” I gestured to the windshield with my hands.

            Blake narrowed his eyes at me and made no move to do what I said.

            “Really, Blake! I don’t want to die yet! Really!”