XV: A lost memory and beef ravioli

15

            Today was Friday. And I couldn’t help but feel that the entire week had come too rapidly. I think that was mostly because of the fact that I was sick for two days. Blake took care of me for the first day then Mom took over on the second. And honestly, I couldn’t remember any single thing that had happened during those two days.

            Now, I was standing here inside Blake’s room, staring at his motionless form on the bed. I had been nudging his feet for minutes now and all he did as a response was groan.

            “Blake? Blake! It’s almost seven-thirty! We’re late for school, stupid. Now, get up.” I pulled on his arm then abruptly released my hold on it. He was so warm. My palm rested on his forehead which only strengthened my suspicion.

            Uh-oh.

            Blake was sick. Really, really sick.

            “Whoa. Why are you suddenly ill? Did I infect you or something?”

            But Blake kept his eyes closed through all my questions, appearing very pale.

            “Oh man, oh man, oh man. Why did you choose today to be sick?” Blake and I were already absent for two days and I certainly couldn’t afford missing another day of classes. I’d fail! Okay, so that was exaggerating. I wouldn’t fail. In fact, I would easily catch up. But come on, who didn’t like going to school?

            Wow. I just heard the entire human population say ‘Me!’ at my question.

            A sudden tune filled my ears. It was from my phone.

            I pulled the device from my pocket and touched the accept button. “Hello?”

            “Amber, you little dawggy! You aren’t sick anymore, are you?” As usual, Maddie had her own way of greeting me.

            “Good morning to you, too.”

            “So?” Asked my impatient caller.

            “Nope. The flu was the one that got away,” I said, though I sang the last part.

            “The nerve of that flu! Anyway, that’s awesome! So, see you in twenty?”

            “Ah, I’m afraid not.”

            “What? Why?”

            “I don’t think I’m going to school today, too.”

            “But I thought you’re okay now. Oh! Is this one of those precaution thingies? They make you stay for one more day to make sure that the flu really got away?”

            “Wrong. Actually, I’m pretty fine now. Except for the fact that I couldn’t remember the last two days,” I muttered the last sentence in an undertone. “I’m not sick anymore… But Blake is. He’s my bodyguard. I shouldn’t go anywhere without him. And I have to take care of him since he did the same to me two days ago.”

            “Eh? How dare he get sick today! That should’ve been postponed for tomorrow. Tomorrow’s Saturday!”

            “I know, I know. I’ll make sure he knows you that you sent him a nice message.”

            “Well, the thing that’s roaming around my mind right now is how come he got sick after you did. Didn’t viruses sort of like culture inside of you before you get ill?”