Epilogue: Welcome home and staying on the throne

Hello! This is the last chapter! I would like to thank you for reading my story. 💖 I hope it gave you all kinds of feelings.

Also, please check my other ongoing story— The Right Kind of Wrong!!! Thank you so much! (I might also add a bonus chapter here soon)
~

Epilogue

            I had been organizing books on my own shelf for hours now and I wasn't even halfway done. This was what I get when I let procrastination take over me. I wiped my dirt-cladded hands to my unbuttoned plaid shirt and a gray mark was left on my white tank top that I wore inside. I didn't nudge it away. I left it be.

            It was my fault to wait a month before placing all my things on my side of the room. Speaking of my side of the room, the person who occupied the other side of the room still hadn't returned.

            I spoke too soon because the door opened suddenly, revealing an exhausted Emery holding a paper bag.

            "Hey, Em. I thought you weren't going to come back," I said cheekily, waving a feather duster at her.

            "Sorry! The a la carte line was so long! I was surprised they didn't give me a line number 74," she complained, wiping sweat on her forehead.

            Emery was my blonde angel of a roommate here in the dormitories. Ever since I moved and studied at Princeton for college, she had been nothing but accommodating and approachable. Not just that, but we had also established a friendship between us. I was thankful for her.

            I totally included her in my list of friends—which was unmistakably short.

            "I congratulate you that you managed to jump from number 74 to number 1." I picked up a dusty book from my box and started to wipe the dirt off.

            "Thanks, but I think you need my cheering skills now. You have been cleaning that shelf's ass off for as long as I can remember—which is the moment I woke up. You still haven't eaten breakfast yet." She rummaged through her paper bag.

            I shoot her a warm smile. "I don't even know what possessed me to finally arrange these. And I'll eat later. Don't worry." It was starting to get a little too hot so I released the book I was holding and swept my red hair into a sloppy bun. That should do it. The air instantly felt bearable.

            "No, I won't worry," she started. "Because I bought you a sandwich—Oh! No! You won't need my sandwich anymore!"

            "What?" I asked, disappointed. I was actually hungry now that she brought it up. Was this girl teasing me?

            "I'm sorry that I didn't tell you as soon as I got back." Her brown eyes smiled coyly at me. "I saw your boyfriend downstairs! He asked me to call you down! I think he brought you food. God, I forgot!" The disappointment quickly faded away. It was changed by excitement.

            "Boyfriend? You mean Blake?" I furrowed my eyebrows at her.

            She gasped mockingly. "Only if you don't have another boyfriend...Do you? Oh, Amber! So sneaky!"

            "You're funny. Of course, I don't," I informed her, giggling. "Okay. I'll leave you here, 'kay?"

            "Sure, sure. If you don't hurry up, the girls that ogle at him downstairs might pounce on him," she warned, gobbling up her burger. Her words were muffled.

            "I'm happy you're not one of them," I teased.

            She snorted. "My boyfriend is absolutely hotter."