XXXVI: A savior to save and a bad way to behave

A/N: I was going to put this up yesterday, but then suddenly, there was no freaking internet connection. So here it is! :D (NOT PROOF READ)

~

36

            I’ve got your prince, Amber. Come to the abandoned Research Center. Alone.

            I hadn’t realized that I was shaking until the guard, who gave me the piece of paper, said, “Miss, are you okay?”

            No, I’m not! I wanted to shout at him. How could I be fine when Blake was at the hands of the enemy?!

            I didn’t answer the guard. I merely looked at him. Sliding my arms into Blake’s suit jacket, I ran all the way back to the ball room. My heart was beating furiously inside my rib cage.

            Blake. No, no. Please, not him. Anyone but him.

            My heels were tick tacking on the floor with every step I made. I didn’t care if they got broken. I didn’t care if I had blisters already. I didn’t care if I landed face first on the ground. Anger coursed through my veins. There were only two things that would’ve done this: the maniac that was Finnick Hwell and the organization that was the problematic mafia. And I was betting on the former. That scoundrel just didn’t know when to stop!

            Now, Blake’s in danger. I shouldn’t have let him go that easily. I should’ve stopped him from leaving. I should’ve told him that I still love him.

            But as much as I wanted to blame this all on him, I couldn’t. I needed to save him. He was the damsel in distress this time.

            I arrived by the opened door of the ball room, ignoring guests who wanted to congratulate and irritate me more. Finding someone who could help me save Blake was my top priority. From the note I received, I wasn’t allowed to bring anyone with me. It might not be written down, but I knew that if I brought any accomplice, Blake would pay for it. My back-up should be hidden or at the very least, arrive before Blake and I got hurt.

            Of course, I shouldn’t tell my father because he would never allow me to go in by myself and that wouldn’t do. How about Mom? No, she would panic. Grandfather? Never. Ever. Ever. Ever. Maddie? No, she must not get included in this mess. Richie? Another no. I knew that he’d help to save his ‘best friend’, but like Maddie, I couldn’t let him get included.

            That left me with no one. I didn’t trust anyone else that much even if they were relatives and friends. Well, it was too late to regret having trust issues.

            Wait—I was wrong. I still had one more option.

            My fiancé. Ethan Gold.

            As soon as I saw Ethan trotting down the hall, smiling at every table he passed, I hastened to walk to his side. I clutched his arm. “Ethan…”

            He looked surprised to see me. “Amber, what are you—I thought you were with Blake.”

            “I was, but something came up. And you’re the only one that could help me now.”

            Fortunately, he nodded. “Of course. What do you need?”

            “I need to go somewhere as in now and I want you to send back-up 30 minutes after I take off. Send them to the abandoned Research Center. It’s just around the downtown area. Send the guards. They’ll know where it is,” I said hurriedly.