VI: Reliable bestfriends and nervousness that deepens

6

"So remind me again why are we hiding from Blake?" Maddie asked me on a Monday morning.

"That's because he did something he shouldn't have," I replied crisply.

"Which is?"

"He violated me."

"Omigosh! Violated? Are you sure it's not the other way around?" She had both of her hands covering her mouth in shock. This girl and her crazy antics.

I looked at her, my eyes dead. "Really?"

She merely shrugged.

"Whatever. We are so not gonna talk to Blake," I told her gently.

"Why do you have to include me?"

I heaved a deep sigh. "Change topic. What happened last Saturday while we were away?"

"Oh, that."

"Yeah, that."

Her eyebrows scrunched up together in deep concentration. "Well, your mom panicked because suddenly you were out of her sight then one of your guards went to talk to your dad. You should've seen the way how all of your guests became worried for you. It was like they were only forced to be concerned. That totally pissed me off, so you know. Back to the story, the party completely ended because everyone started calling their connections just to find you. As if they believed that if they found you, there would be a reward or something like that. Then everyone calmed down when they figured out that you were with Blake. I was quite surprised that they didn't know that from the start."

I remained quiet, my thoughts remembering the thing that happened that Saturday night—making my face go all warm and red.

"By the way, are you sure you weren't eternally damned?"

"Nope. I'm not grounded. I just received a whole lot of scolding. They never ground me, though," I answered casually, keeping my calm and not giving away any sign of being flustered.

"Ah, yeah. I remember. The only kid who never gets grounded is the daughter of America's president."

"I'm damn sure that there are thousands of kids who are never grounded by their parents."

"Says who? Your dad?"

I laughed. "You're nuts. Change topic again. So, I opened your gift already."

"And—?" Maddie looked at me with expecting eyes.

"Well..." I tried my best to wear a disgusted expression so that she would believe otherwise. And based on the look on her face, I led her on to the fact that I didn't like her gift. "...I love it! Really! So much! Super duper! Thank you so much, Mad!"

I opened the gifts that Saturday night, the moment where I was sent to my room after so much scolding. And just like any other girl, I took my best friend's gift first and felt intrigued. Well, it wasn't everyday that someone gives you something almost one meter long and a ruler in width—which was wrapped in gold wrapping paper. Imagine my surprise when I tore the wrap and saw a guitar case and obviously, inside that guitar case was a guitar. A guitar made out of ebony wood and had golden etchings on it. The most beautiful I had ever seen.

"You loved it? Omigosh! I remember how you always said that you wanted to learn to play the guitar so I thought that giving you one would do."