XII: Mind frustration and the big revelation

12

            Shaking my head infuriatingly, I twisted my fingers together. That girl was so despicable. Too despicable. She told me that then she ran off ahead, saying she was hungry and wanted a pizza. How nice of a best friend.

            I had to bear in mind to look at where I walked. It wouldn’t even surprise me if I just ended up planting my face first on the floor. All this thinking was too mind-boggling.

            Yes, I was attracted to Blake physically. Yes, I was attracted to Blake characteristically. Yes, I liked-liked Blake. But love? No. I did not love the guy. Maddie was just fooling around with me or maybe she thought that what she saw was love. But, no way. Definitely not that.

            And what did she mean when she said that it took me this long to realize my feelings? Were those feelings too inconspicuous to me? How could that girl know what I felt when I absolutely didn’t know anything about it?

            ‘That you’re in love with each other.’ She said that so casually and surely that I almost believed her. Almost. I knew that was impossible. Blake didn’t like me-like me so how could he be in love with me? Besides, I was so not in love with him. Maddie was wrong. She was way off the line.

            I was not in love Blake. He was not in love with me either. That was it.

            You sure about that? My subconscious voiced her thought once again.

            Yes, of course I am! I could use a little moral support here, subconscious! I rolled my eyes at her.

            Okay, fine. The truth was I wasn’t even sure about what Maddie said. But it was better to smash down hope before it stood too high, right?

            I hadn’t realized that I was striding through the school parking lot. Wait. Why was I even here? Oh. Blake.

            This thinking wouldn’t be good to my health. I suspected a fever coming later.

            At the corner of my eye, I caught sight of the BMW parked across the exit. Blake leaned on the driver door, his hands in his pockets and head facing the ground. Glancing at my watch, my eyes widened automatically. It had been fourteen minutes past twelve. Blake was just standing there for God-knows-how-long. I quickly trudged my way to him, my shoes doing a loud noise on the rough concrete. If he noticed my approach, he didn’t show it. He continued bowing his head until I was in front of him. Keeping his head down, he looked at me through his lashes. The look warmed my skin a few degrees.

            “Hey. Sorry I left you waiting,” I apologized, letting my teeth show in a smile.

            He replied with one of his special smiles that left me gawking. “I didn’t wait that long.”

            “Sure you didn’t,” I whispered in a very low voice that even Blake couldn’t hear. Hopefully.