XX: The kidnapper's bet and a heart-stopping threat

20

            Waiting up all night for someone to kick the metal door open wasn’t exactly the best idea in the first place. But I did it anyway. I couldn’t sleep. I figured that if I did, I might miss all the action and I wouldn’t get to see much. Which was not considered stupid until I felt my eyes go droopy.

            I was still tied to a chair. But at least they took off my blindfold and the handkerchief from my mouth.

            “I guess you are experiencing the saddest part of your life, huh, princess?”

            Everything inside of me jolted when I heard the last word. Blake always called me that.

            It was only Finn, though. He was making every second of my waking hours hell.

            “You are waiting for someone to save you. How pitiful,” he mocked, slipping on a mischievous smile. I couldn’t believe that once in my life I considered this guy handsome. But now, he looked like crap to me. I guess personalities really change the way you look at a person. His personality was black as coal.

            “Who’s more pitiful? Me, who is waiting for her savior, or you, who makes people’s lives miserable because yours is too?”

            He pretended to think about that then, moved closer. And for the third time this day, Finn took me by surprise by slapping me hard. That wasn’t a slap, it was a punch. “In this very moment, I believe it is you. No one’s going to rescue you. That riddle was a hard one. You couldn’t even solve it.”

            I felt the blood trickle down past my lips. I swallowed. “Blake can solve it. I trust him.”

            “Oh. So you really entrust your life to him?”

            “Yes,” I answered with no hesitation.

            Finn frowned. “I guess your feelings for him run deeper than I thought. Too bad he’s never gonna find that out.”

            True. If I never get out of here, I wouldn’t be able to tell Blake what I had always wanted to. But…I was certain that I would be able to either be rescued or escape. “But he is going to find out. I am getting out of here somehow.”

            “Wouldn’t dream of that.”

            I grit my teeth. “Does that mean you are going to kill me?”

            He smiled at me menacingly. “What do you think?”

            “If you’re going to, you might as well do it now,” I declared bravely. That was just a front, though.

            “Don’t you think that it is much better if I do it when your bodyguard comes to your rescue?”

            I didn’t answer. What was with him replying back with a question?

            “I’ll have so much fun seeing him get hurt and I like hurting you. So I guess everything works out for me, huh?”

            I didn’t want that. I didn’t want to see Blake hurt. He had been in so much pain already. I couldn’t bear to add to that pain.

            Our conversation ended with that when Finn noticed I didn’t want to talk to him anymore. I didn’t even want to see him. So when he took his seat at the corner of the room and as I was put on a chair in the middle, I took in everything around me.