XXV: His absence's sorrow and under the mistletoe

25

            Staring at Christmas decorations around the cabin was one way for me to distract myself while everyone was preparing for the upcoming feast tonight. Dad was inside his room, doing some presidential business. Some bodyguards were allowed to tour around Seattle and the others were asked to stay here. They had alternate touring days. Mom and Nana were cooking in the kitchen and every time I offered to help, they shooed me off, telling me to go play Team Blamber. They couldn’t embarrass me any further, could they?

            But I couldn’t go and play Team Blamber because I hadn’t seen Blake since this morning. I mean, we spent the whole night together playing Snakes and Ladders (hey, don’t judge me! It was fun!) but when I woke up, he wasn’t in his room anymore or anywhere inside the cabin. Which made me assume that he went out to buy me a Christmas gift. And the thought disappointed me making me think that he waited until the last minute to buy me one.

            Speaking of Christmas gifts, I still hadn’t wrapped the necklace that I bought him. The lady at that store just placed it inside a small plastic bag and I couldn’t give it as is. I had to find a wrapper. The smell of pot roast lured me back into the kitchen. Mom had her hair up in a ponytail and wore this ridiculous looking red apron while she was busy sifting baking powder. Nana was only checking the oven so I moved beside her.

            “Hey Nana, you look absolutely striking in that blue apron you’re wearing!”

            Nana gave me a funny look. “What do you want, dear?”

            “How did you know I’m gonna ask for something?”

            “I have known you since you were a baby, dear. Of course I’d know.”

            I made a ‘tsk’ sound. “Damn. I thought you weren’t going to notice.”

            My mom laughed at the other side of the counter. “You do tend to compliment people when you need something. So what’s up, honey?”

            “Uh, do you guys have a gift wrapper? I forgot to wrap something,” I said meekly.

            “Are you thinking what I’m thinking, Nan?” Mom bumped her shoulder against Nana’s.

            “I do think we are thinking of the same thing, Morisette,” Nana replied with a huge smile on her wrinkly face.

            “I’m thinking of Team Blamber!” Mom hollered, raising her powdered hands.

            “Blamber, indeed,” Nana agreed.

            I rolled my eyes at the both of them. “Can you two please just give me some wrapping paper?”

            “So what did you give him, honey?”

            “Necklace,” I answered plainly.

            “That’s too cliché,” Nana added. “And shouldn’t he be the one who gives you a necklace?”

            I gaped at her, my eyes too wide. I couldn’t believe she just said cliché. That sounded epic coming from her lips. “Well, he gave me a necklace on my birthday though.” I showed them the gold necklace hanging around my neck.

            When Mom saw the emerald gem, her mouth formed into an O. “That’s so pretty, honey! It looks beautiful on you!” I think the reason she said that because I was her daughter. Moms always compliment their children.