XXII: Bedroom connection and the awaited confession

22

            We arrived at Seattle exactly a week before Christmas. Dad informed me that we would stay here until the 27th. I didn’t have any objections with that. First, because Blake was travelling with us and second, I needed to take a break from his mafia problems. That I somehow got included in.

            My parents didn’t have any problem with our 9-day arrangement. My father could still run the country even when he was miles away from the White House. And my mother was psyched to come back to Seattle after a few years.

            When we reached our destination after lunch, which was the middle of the forest, Mom quickly got out of the car and ran to the two-story log cabin with her hands up in the air.

            Dad and I looked at each other with astonishment when we got out of the car.

            “I think she missed the Seattle air,” I whispered.

            “That, dear, is an understatement.” He patted my head slowly then headed to the cabin.

            Everything that my eyesight landed on was covered in white. Snow glittered everywhere. And the log cabin. It was still looked the way I remembered. Grandfather owned this cabin because he and my deceased grandmother lived here a long time ago. Speaking of Grandfather, he didn’t want to stay in Seattle with us. I wondered why. He would be alone back home. And another thing, it was a good thing my parents didn’t let Grandfather know about my kidnapping.

            I turned my head back to the car, wherein the other bodyguards were taking my parents’ luggage off the black van. Blake was nowhere in sight. Frowning, I walked towards the cabin while dragging my duffel bag with me. When I entered the wooden doors, a familiar voice called out.

            “Little Amber, is that you?”

            Standing there, two meters away to my right was Nana. Her face was wrinkled but it was still the same. The gray in her hair seemed to swallow all. She looked old. But still my nana as she smiled at me warmly.

            “Nana!” I ran to hug her. Had she always been this small? “Oh, Nana! I missed you! I’m sorry we haven’t been able to visit you here!”

            “That’s okay, dearie.” Then, she pushed me away from her to have a better look at me. “How refreshing. You grew up to be a beautiful lady.”

            “Nana, stop joking,” I said, a hundred percent embarrassed now.

            She shook her head as hair strands fell down from the bun. “I am not joking. You are absolutely stunning, little lady.”

            “I agree,” a smooth voice from behind me said.

            I turned. There he was—the person I was looking for earlier. How did he appear like that?

            “Hello, ma’am. My name is Blake Watterson.” He shook hands with Nana while she had put on her shocked face. I bit my lip to refrain from laughing. The look on Nana’s face was priceless!

            “Oh. So handsome,” Nana muttered, mostly to herself. “I am Anna Arlberg. You can call me Nana. I have been Amber’s mother’s nanny. And became hers too when she visits.”

            That was a wrong move, Nana. Compliments would inflate Blake’s head more. To my horror, Blake was already laughing as if he agreed with her. God, no.