XXXI: Worries awake and the heartbreak

A/N: This is two days late. D: Sorry. I've been out of my game and I do not know how to revive my writer self. Right now, it's just bitchy self. But I'm trying to update every other day (sometimes, it doesn't work). Anyhoo, I am scared of putting this one. Dunno why. Enjoy tho. :) Tell me what you think. >:D

~

31

            The entire arranged marriage was a bull and I was exerting a hundred percent of my mind strength to forget it. Problem was, my mind strength was a weak piece of shit. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. No matter how Blake tried to divert my attention to him. Sometimes, I leaned my head on his shoulder, thinking of what might happen if we couldn’t prevent my grandfather from continuing this.

            Grandfather never spoke to me about for weeks and that was a good thing. Because my temper might ignite and I might whack him with a paddle. Regardless of the fact that he was a few decades older and he was still my grandfather.

            I hadn’t seen the Golds again, either.

            Today, I was in a surprisingly good mood. And that was rare with all that was happening. Perhaps because it was a Friday. Whatever. I wouldn’t complain. Blake and I arrived almost an hour early even though we stopped over for donuts. Yep, donuts for breakfast. Ultimately healthy.

            We were headed to the lockers to fetch my books when the principal’s door opened a few yards away. I stopped when I saw who exited. It was Ethan Gold and his shiny blond hair. Really, it was. Panicking, I hurriedly turned around and resorted to look at Blake. But, Blake’s facial features hardened.

            “Miss McKinley,” said a low voice that had a hint of a British accent. The voice was closer now.

            I closed my eyes, fearing that it was who I think it was. Hesitantly, I turned around and looked at the person who called me. Oh, boy. “Hello, Mr. Gold.”

            Ethan smiled awkwardly at me. “Mr. Gold’s my father. You can call me Ethan.”

            “Oh. Okay. You can call me Amber then,” I said as awkwardly. “Um, do you study here?” Yes, I wouldn’t have known if he were. I didn’t pay attention so much to other people.

            “No. Actually, I talked with your principal. My family has been supporting this school financially for many years already. It is not rare that I visit. And I am in college already. First year,” he informed me, smiling gently. The smile that told you that you can trust him. I hoped so.

            “Oh. You’re in college. I-I didn’t know that. Here in D.C.?”

            Ethan shook his head no. “In New York. Columbia University.”

            Wow. Though, I wouldn’t be shocked that much. He looked like the smart son of a rich family. He even wore a brown suit. So sophisticated. I couldn’t believe my grandfather attempted to partner me up with this guy. We didn’t fit together. “That’s amazing. But, D.C. is a long way from New York. How about school?”

            Ethan had gray eyes too. But not like Blake’s. Ethan’s irises had specks of blue while Blake’s were amazingly sterling gray. Judging by Ethan’s eyes, he was comfortable with our conversation. That was good. Maybe I could just be a good friend for Ethan which would make my grandfather cancel the engagement. My would-be-friendship with Ethan might be enough for both companies’ partnership. He really looked like a decent guy.