XXIX: Letters in bold and bringing out the Gold

A/N: This one's longer than usual though I didn't proof read it. Sorry but enjoy! ;)

~

29

            The school tradition during Valentine’s Day was that every hour, students dressed in red with fake wings enter the classrooms and give respective people their gifts from a basket. They were sort of Cupid-looking. This custom was started by the Journalism Club long ago and it continued until now. I thought that the club really nailed it. They created a school event that they could put in the news section of the school paper. People said they didn’t care about this small event but majority of them were participating annually in this. Maybe that came with the hopes of their crushes finally noticing them. Or maybe the youth today were all hopeless romantics.

            Here’s how it worked: You leave your gift inside the student council room with the recipient’s name, what class he/she is in and the time of that class. Putting your name is optional if you’re feeling anonymous and mysterious. Then, the student council members collect them and they are the ones who give out these gifts to classes.

            It was a good thing I didn’t join the student council. A lot of work was needed in that. I’d rather be on the sidelines. For the past three years that I had spent in this school, my friends were the only one I sent gifts to. Boys were out of the question. They, however, gave me huge amounts of gifts over the time. Be it stuffed toys or chocolates or letters or flowers. I accepted those but I couldn’t accept their feelings. I couldn’t reciprocate them. I didn’t feel anything but appreciation.

            This year was different, though. Because this time I had a boy I cared about.

            I didn’t expect him to give me something as early as before first period. But I felt disappointed when he actually didn’t.

            It’s okay, I told myself. Maybe he just forgot that this is our first Valentine’s. Or maybe he just doesn’t care at all.

            Then, if that was the case, I guess I would give him my gift by the end of the day. That would show him.

            Half way across our electricity lesson in Physics, Craig Theton—the council president, entered the classroom holding a large basket. He wore large wings that seemed to not fit the door frame. But they did.

            “Good morning, Mrs. Freight. I come with Valentine’s day gifts,” he said to our Physics teacher, gesturing to the woven basket he held.

            She gave Craig a wide smile. “Of course, Mr. Theton. Go ahead.”

            Craig lifted the small red box on the top and said, “Lia Martell?”

            “Here!” Lia shouted from the corner of the room and the president walked towards her, handing her the gift. He continued giving out gifts almost every person in the class. Even Mrs. Freight. In which we teased her about. I guess it was from her husband who was also a teacher in our school. Then, Craig stopped in front of me.

            “A beautiful Valentine’s day to a beautiful lady,” he said, smiling at me. Craig was really cute. When he grinned, his eyes narrowed into slits and even though he only had one dimple, it looked so deep.

            I felt Richie’s suspicious eyes on me from my left. Richie was in my Physics class too.

            Instead of returning Richie’s gaze, I focused my attention on the boy in front. “Hi, Craig. What do you have for me this year?”