IX: Absolute exhaustion and sudden attraction

9

Seeing Blake suddenly existent in front of me made me want to jump in circles and do a flip. Not a good thing to do considering how my knees would react. I would be in a wheelchair this young if I really did that.

"Amber," he breathed out. His gray irises landed on Finn and on the gun that was still directed at me. Blake's eyelids narrowed into slits and his jaw was clenched in anger.

"Blake," I said with no sound coming out of my mouth.

"What are you doing?" Blake asked menacingly. Shit. Now, I was really really scared.

Finn chuckled darkly. He really wanted to set Blake off. "Nothing. Just hanging out with her," Finn replied nonchalantly.

Blake didn't seem fazed though. He closed the distance between him and Finn then swatted the silver gun away. The gun slithered towards the wall a few feet away from me. Blake drew his hand back then sent it flying towards Finn's face. Shocked, I let out a shaky gasp. That looked like it really hurt. One punch from Blake was all it took to make blood appear on the corner of Finn's mouth.

Finn immediately took action and dared to hit Blake back. But even before Finn's fist came in contact with Blake's jaw, Blake already had Finn's fist inside his palm. Finn uttered a curse as Blake swung out his feet towards Finn's legs that had sent him kissing the floor. That seemed easy.

Blake had one knee placed on top of Finn's back. "Do that again to her and I will see to it that your dick disintegrates to dust," Blake told him, his tone had chilled another degree.

My horrified expression turned to a grimace as Blake said that last statement. Imagine seeing a guy's you-know-what disintegrate before your very eyes. That would've been nasty. I believe it was too much, even for an ex-mafia member's standards.

Blake's eyes flickered to mine and I felt like tearing up. I was so freaking glad he came. Using the edge of the bed to prop myself up, I saw Finn extract a dagger from his pants as Blake reached towards me. My eyes widened in alarm. Blake furrowed his eyebrows, obviously confused. I frantically did a 360, searching for anything that might be used for defense. You know how when you are just running out of possibilities and then a ray of sunshine lands on that thing that could help you? Yeah. So that was what kind of happened to me, I guess. I caught sight of the silver revolver (my imagined ray of sunshine landed on the gun) and I reached for it like I had never reached anything this far in my entire lifetime.

As I chucked the gun to Blake, Finn swiped the knife back and forth across Blake's abdomen area. Fortunately, Blake had easily dodged the other's futile attempt. With an exasperated sigh, Blake pulled the trigger. Relief hit me like a tidal wave when I realized that Blake had only targeted Finn's leg, though relief didn't last that long when I noticed red stain on his pants. Letting go of the knife, Finn hollered in pain and was rolling around while holding his leg.

Blake ran over to me quickly and pulled me up against him. He took hold of the crook of my knees and back, carrying me bridal-style. I leaned my head on the curve of his neck, mainly due to exhaustion. The moment we were outside Finn's room, something hit me.

I pulled the front of Blake's shirt and asked, "We're gonna leave him like that in there?"

"Of course. He deserves that," he answered, his voice steel hard.

"But Blake—"

"Shh. He'll be fine. I promise," he cut me off.

Biting my lip, I nodded slightly then rested my head on Blake's shoulder once again. I had closed my eyes but I'd bet with all my savings that the party was still in full swing. It wasn't even at its peak yet. Clutching Blake's shirt tighter, I snuggled closer to him. All the beat of the music, the slurred voices, the smell of sweat and liquor in the air made me remember the horror I was in a few minutes ago. The last thing that I wanted was to remember all of that.