A Second Chance, To Run - Ch.6 (Sequel-Emma & Johnny's Story) *In Progress*

*Sorry it had been so long - life got in the way again. Please vote, fan and comment. Enjoy :)*

Chapter 6

“The pizza has arrived!” Harvey called out from his front door to Emma and Johnny in the living room.

“Great,” Johnny shouted back, switching off the video game they had been playing – which he was ashamed to admit his sister had been beating him spectacularly at.

Emma smiled as Harvey appeared around the door and dumped the three large pizza boxes onto the coffee table before them.

“How many people did you think were coming, Harvey?” Emma laughed, drawing in the smell of melted cheese, spicy meat and mushrooms.

“Well I know how much Johnny eats,” Harvey snorted, checking his watch, “and I’ve also invited the new girl – Sara.”

Johnny went rigid, his hand freezing as he reached for the top pizza box. Emma saw his nails darken slightly in colour and length ever so slightly. What was it about her that made her brother’s werewolf side come out?

“Hope that’s OK with you guys,” Harvey went on, oblivious to his friend’s tension, “you remember how hard it is being new, making friends and everything.”  

“You should have told us,” Johnny growled balling his hands into fists on his lap. His golden eyes had dilated and Emma could smell the change close to the surface – smell the tang of the wolf. Her own whined with concern and she reached out and rested her hand on her brother’s forearm. She squeezed reassuringly and Johnny glanced up at her – showing her his glowing eyes and slightly pointed canines.

“I didn’t think it would be such a big deal,” Harvey said sheepishly, shrugging his shoulders awkwardly.

Emma leant close to her brother and whispered in his ear, “You can beat this, Johnny, whatever it is. Go into the bathroom and compose yourself – we can’t risk anyone finding out about us.”

Nodding stiffly, Johnny stood up unsteadily. Shoulders hunched over, he quickly pushed past Harvey out of the room, muttering as he went past, “stomach cramps, sorry, Harv.”

What was going on with her brother? Emma listened to the bathroom door click shut behind him upstairs, her keen ears picking up the sliding of the bolt into place. That bolt lock would stand for nothing however if Johnny lost control and transformed.

“What did I do wrong?” Harvey asked Emma, confusion heavy in his tone.

Looking up at her friend, Emma tried to smile normally and hide her concern. “Nothing, Harvey, it’s just Johnny hasn’t been feeling well lately.”

“Could have known that earlier,” the teenage boy grumbled, eying the large amount of pizza.

Before Emma could answer, the doorbell rang. Upstairs, Emma heard her brother sharply turn off the tap. She could picture him hunched over the sink, gripping its edges and listening intently. Harvey quickly moved to answer the door. Emma stood up, suddenly to anxious to stay sitting. Her wolf was ready inside of her to leap to the girl’s defence if Johnny lost control. Steady, she thought and took a deep breath.

Harvey reappeared and the new girl – Sara – followed him cautiously. Her eyes widened slightly at the sight of Emma but she smiled at her politely.

“Sara, isn’t it?” Emma said, holding out her hand.

“Yes,” Sara said, shaking her hand, “and you’re Emma, Harvey has told me a lot about you. In fact, he spoke of no one else really.”      

“How about some pizza!” Harvey quickly butted in and gestured at the food, “I think I’ve ordered too much, but don’t worry, leftover cold pizza is fine by me tomorrow.”

The two girls sat on the sofa and Sara started to talk to Harvey but Emma couldn’t follow the conversation. She was listening once more to her brother upstairs. Silence.

“Sorry,” Emma said, getting up, “I just need to go and check on my brother.”  

As she left the room, Emma caught Sara’s leap in her pulse and the first flicker of true panic fluttered in her gut. She hurried up the stairs, taking them two at a time. The bathroom door was slightly ajar but Emma couldn’t hear any movement from behind it.

“Johnny,” she said quietly but when there was no reply, she tried again, more urgently this time. “Johnny, please, open the door.”  

A deep rumbling growl answered and Emma froze. Oh please no – no, not here, not now. Holding her breath, Emma pushed open the door and her heart dropped out of her chest.

Johnny – Johnny the werewolf – was crouched between the sink and the bath – his bulk making Harvey’s small bathroom look even smaller. If the situation hadn’t been so dire, Emma may have laughed at the sight of the werewolf stuffed into the small bathroom.

Her brother growled low at her, but Emma ignored him. She stepped inside and closed the door behind her. Turning around, finding herself almost nose to nose with the werewolf, Emma tried to think.

“What the hell, Johnny?” she hissed, eyes flashing, “Seriously, you have to lose control now!”

Johnny bared his large teeth at her and tried to push her aside with his clawed-hand but Emma stood her ground.

“No,” she slapped his hairy arm aside, “you’re not leaving this bathroom until you clawless and hairles

The werewolf pushed his long muzzle into her face in a challenge and Emma glowered into his eyes.

“Take control, Johnny!”

Another defiant snarl.

Emma flicked her brother on his round black nose, “bad werewolf. What will mum and dad say when I tell them about this?”  

Johnny shook his shaggy head and snorted as if to say that he didn’t care.

“What is it about her?” Emma whispered, more to herself then her brother.

Letting out a pitiful whine, Johnny pressed his large head into her chest like an affectionate horse-head butt. Sighing, Emma reached up and ran her fingers through the werewolf’s thick scruff.

“I’m sorry, Johnny,” she told him, lifting his face to hers and stroking her thumb over his furry cheek, “this must be terrifying and confusing for you.”

Johnny rolled his eyes and huffed.

Suddenly, they both heard the creak of the floorboards outside the bathroom door. Before either of them could move a muscle – where would they have gone anyway, hidden Johnny in the bath and pulled the shower curtain and hope Harvey wouldn’t notice the large dark smug – the door handle turned.

The door was pulled open and the werewolf twins came face to face with Sara – not Harvey. Emma expected Sara to scream, to faint, to turn and run. But the new girl did none of those things – instead a broad grin spread across her face. Something changed as that grin spread – her awkward, shyness vanished to be replaced with instead cool, confidence.

“I think I heard a joke once about a werewolf in a bathroom,” Sara spoke in a off-hand tone as if she was disguising the weather, “but I can’t remember how it ended. So I suppose I’ll just have to make that part up.”

She reached behind her and pulled a gun from the waistband of her jeans. She raised the sleek, expensive looking weapon and pointed it at Johnny over Emma’s shoulder.

“Why did the werewolf cross the road?” Sara said emotionlessly, eyes hard and face blank, “to avoid being killed by the Hunter.”

And she pulled the trigger.

*Hope you enjoyed it. Please leave me a comment below <3*