Chapter 29: Mirrors. The new reflection.

Theme song: Cups (Pitch Perfect Version)

*******************************

Chapter 29: Mirrors.  The new reflection.

Mirrors- ‘Yesterday is history, tomorrows a mystery. Keep your arms around me, ‘cause you’re my mirror staring back at me.’

            RIVYN’S P.O.V.

            It’s been a five days now.  Attending American Chester High school for the last three days, and it seemed to pass by like pages flying off of the embedded spine.  I avoided the whispers and large groups, eating with Klaire by the staircase during lunch.  I caught small glimpses of Charlotte stealing peeks at me in class.  Chris was still dating her.  Over the weekend I hanged with Klaire, and talked about normal teenage stuff.  Which celeb should date who, what dress looked uglier on her.  We avoided how I was moving in only a short matter of time.

I haven’t seen Brian since we got the news. 

            Aunt Darby said the police came when I was at Klaire’s house and arrested him for kidnapping and some other illegal shit.  Mrs. Daniels just bailed him out a few hours ago, the two still at the police station to fill out some forms.  Brian was coming home tonight. 

            On New Year’s Eve.

            People think that’s the day where everyone starts off fresh.  A clean slate for the badass players, a fresh napkin for the drug addicts, a spotless record for the law-breakers.  A time for forgiveness. 

            But I wasn’t ready for that.

            Tossing the small basketball toy in the air, I caught it and threw it back up, constantly doing the same motions.  Klaire was at her grandma’s for the rest of the week, and here I was, lying on my bed, staring up at the ceiling with the most neutral tone I haven’t had in a while. 

            We were leaving the day after New Years, Aunt Darby wanting to celebrate the New Year in America.  She said the parties were more wild here which I didn’t argue with.  That meant I’d be spending New Years with Mrs. Daniels, Brian and Noah.  I held back a miserable groan, and thought of something else.  Which didn’t work.

            Forty-eight hours of this life, then I will begin a new chapter.  Without Brian.  I pinched myself for adding such an inappropriate comment.  Brian doesn’t belong in my life.  He never was.  He’s just a guy. 

            Ding-dong! 

            The basketball went ninja and dropped on my face, the rubber smacking onto my forehead.  Startled by the doorbell, I decided to stay in my room, not wanting to get up.  If the person was important, I thought, they’ll ring for the second time.

            About to throw the ball in the air, the doorbell rang yet again, and I cursed under my breath.  Where was Noah?  Oh right, he’s never home. 

            “Aunt Darby!  Can you get that?” I shouted, pleading to hear a quirky voice.  Unfortunately, I got no response and made a soured look, remembering she had an appointment at the spa today. 

            Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  Di—“Alright!  Don’t get your panties in a twist, I’m coming!” I screamed to no one in particular, cursing as I stumbled towards the door.  Both my legs were asleep from lying on the bed for hours, and I winced, banging into the railing as I made my way downstairs.