Chapter 3: You've got to be kidding me ((3 and me rhyme :D))

Theme song ‘love story by Taylor Swift’ 

Chapter 3: You have got to be kidding me. ((3 and me rhyme! :D)) 

“Get off!” I yelled , wrenching away from his strong grip. Pathetically, Klaire just watched in laughter.  Bitch.  

Coach Boysin finally blew the whistle, signalling for the girls and boys to line up by the starting line. “Looks like you’re off the hook,” he winked as he slinked away. 

“I wish,” I mumbled, rolling my eyes. 

Klaire inched beside me with her eyebrow raised. “What was that?!” 

I nudged her gut, earning a satisfying groan. “Me getting harassed and you watching.” 

She ignored my response, and asked, “What does he want with you?” We both line up in the third row, blending in with all the ponytails.

I opened my mouth to say something and then stopped. What does he want with me?  “Honestly, I don’t know.” 

“I think I do,” she said playfully, shuffling her feet. 

I cracked my head to the side.  “Pardon?” 

“I said, I think I know why.” 

“Spill it,” I demanded. 

Klaire sighed. “A few months ago, when Brian first got here, every girl fell for him.Oddly, he didn’t find it entertaining since they all were the same.  He wanted a challenge, a good chase. Then there was this one girl.  She was pretty, intelligent and athletic. Brian fell in love with her, hard. Just like the others guys, he wanted her terribly.” 

“So it’s the basic love story isn’t it?” I drawled annoyingly. 

She shook her head. “Yeah right. The girl he had a crush on, she didn’t like him. He didn’t know why, he did everything. Bought her a car, sent her a wagon full of roses, exploded fireworks that spelt out her name,” she ticked off her fingers. 

“Desperate much?” I said surprised.  Brian certainly put his riches for good use. 

“He even fought guys that got close. After this, the girl was officially Brian’s.  Well, that’s what he thought anyways. She still wasn’t interested.” 

Stepping forward, we waited to be the next runners.  My impatient feet tapped, arms and I asked, “And then?” It was starting to get good. 

“Weeks later, she finally broke the news to him. She was already taken.” 

I snorted. “You serious? By who?”  The runners ahead approached the finish. 

“By a girl.” 

I burst out laughing, clutching my stomach. He fell for a lesbian? ((I don’t mean to put any offense to anyone out there)) And he didn’t even know?  Brian’s cockiness was too overwhelming for him, I thought.

“So where is she now? The girl Brian fell for?” I questioned. Suddenly, Klaire got all quite. “What is it?” 

“She was me.” 

What the fu— 

Tweet! “GO!” 

All the girls blasted forward, leaving me in the dust. Everything spun. My feet wouldn’t move. Klaire was a lesbian? Brian used to like her? I’ve had a friend for ten minutes and I was already starting to lose one. Literally.  She was running.  Away from me.  The starting line. Shit. I was supposed to be running wasn’t I? I shook my head, shaking out the trance.