2.8K 56 4

Vanessa gasps

Vanessa gasps. "Lucy! Why are you still asleep? It's party day!"

Lucy groans, tossing the nearest and smallest throw pillow at Vanessa.

"The party isn't until 9," Lucy spoke with a scratchy voice. "Leave me alone."

"We have much to do," Vanessa beamed. "I set up hair appointments for us with Johnny at 12, we have to choose outfits and—"

"What's wrong with what I have on," Lucy rolled over simply in boy shorts & a ratty t-shirt, being sarcastic. "It's called Comfy Couture."

"Very funny. Now get up! I'm making a healthy breakfast and fresh juice. We need to be radiant for our debut."

"You're making it sound like we're walking the red carpet for a premiere." Lucy rubbed her eyes, still barely budging.

"This is our introduction party," Vanessa stomps. "And a week later we will enter the halls of West Bev as the hot new seniors that threw the most bomb party ever. They will know who Vanessa Jones & Lucy Durant are because they sure as shit didn't know last year."

"What if I like not being known?"

"Well, tough cookies." Vanessa folded arms. "This comes with the territory of being my bestie."

"Ooh, I thought Jack Gilinsky was your bestie," Lucy mocked.

"Shut up and get your ass downstairs in 5 minutes."

"Yes, Warden. I'll be downstairs to take my meds momentarily."

"So difficult."

. . . . .

Jack Gilinsky and Nate Maloley jog back onto shore after conquering some waves on their surfboards. They stick the boards into the sand and have a seat to catch their breath.

"You're coming tonight, right?" Gilinsky asked.

"Havin' second thoughts," Nate responded.

"...Lucy?"

"Yeah man. We didn't exactly...you know- part on good terms."

"I don't remember that being her fault." Gilinsky ruffles his wet hair, loosening it up a bit.

"Last time I tried to talk to her she was like...standoffish and wouldn't tell me why." Nate looks out at the horizon.

"The party's gonna be so sick though," Jack exclaimed. "And Vanessa's new house is huge, you probably won't even see Lucy."

"Wanna bet? We're like magnets. I keep spottin' her from a mile away."

"Then...make your eyes stick to something new, bro."

"That's what got us here in the first place...bro." Nate laughed. "And what about you and Vanessa? Hit that yet?"

"Vanessa? Nah, she's cool people. It's not like that. I'm just cruisin' solo."