613 32 9

Kali looks down at the small piece of paper then up at the 'Village Ink' sign before walking into the shop. It was a different environment coming in from the sunshine and into the dark red & black walls. The place smelled of incense and two people sat on the couch looking through a book of tattoo designs. The buzzing of tattoo machines was heard faintly. Kali walks up to the front desk as a girl with blonde curls scrolled through her cell phone.

"Hi I'm Ka--"

The blonde holds her index finger up at Kali as she continues to look through her phone. Kali didn't care, she was not to be silenced.

"I'm here to see Austin Carlile," Kali spoke a little louder than before.

The blonde rolled her eyes and got up from the desk. She disappeared to the back of the nearby hallway. When she returned, a tall man covered in tattoos on his arms and neck trailed behind her. He paused when he saw Kali and resumed chewing his gum.

Then he smiled, continuing to approach her and shake her hand.

"You must be Kali," he spoke.

"Yes sir."

"Dump the formalities," he chuckled.

"Sorry," she grinned. "Um, do you...want to see my resume?"

"Do you know how to answer a phone?"

"...Yes?"

"Fax? Printer? Email writing?"

"Yes to all three," Kali nodded.

"And you seem nice, great smile," he gave her the once-over. "You get a 2-week trial period, is that cool?"

"Absolutely."

"Great," he smacked the countertop. "Jeanine, you're fired. Kali, you're hired."

"Wh- just like that," Kali asked.

"Excuse me?" Jeanine protested.

"You've been shit," Austin told Jeanine. "Grab your feather pen and self tanner and hit the road. You saw this coming."

Jeanine scoffed. "Whatever. Didn't wanna work in this shithole anyway."

Austin waits until Jeanine leaves and offers Kali to have a seat in the swivel chair.

"Welcome aboard," he winked.

. . .

Lucy wakes up next to Kian in his bed after hearing the voice of Nate call her name. She reaches over to his nightstand and looks at his watch. It's 11 AM. She sits up and rubs her face, glancing over at her clothes on the floor nearby. Kian runs his hand up her bare back.

"I could do last night all over again," he spoke in his soft morning voice. He sat up and kissed the back of her shoulder. "Everything okay?"

"Y-yeah, just had a bad dream that's all," she answered.