764 47 26

"I don't know what to do," Kali told Nadia as they sat on the beach. "Today at lunch, he completely kept walking past our table and went to sit alone."

"He didn't go sit with his friends at least?" Nadia asked nonchalantly. She was more focused on getting her tan.

"What friends? He usually keeps to himself."

"Maybe that's why he's so pissed off. He doesn't really have anyone besides you. You don't see that though."

"But my parents, Nadia. You and I both know how strict they are." Kali fans herself under stress.

"Not my fault your dad owns a megachurch. I would say emancipate yourself but you'd have nowhere to go unless you move to Texas with your grandma."

"Not happening," Kali rolls her eyes & then looks out at the surfers. "Is that Nate out there?"

"Probably," Nadia said with her eyes shut. "He always surfs around here with Gilinsky."

"I don't see Gilinsky, but he's shouting over at some guy."

Nadia removes her shades and tries to get a look. "My eyes are shit but his physique looks amazing."

"Definitely not from around here."

Nadia watches closely as Nate and his friend get out of the water. His friend seems crazy but in a good way, in love with life; laughing as he knocks back his head of wet hair & unzips his suit. Nate spots Kali and Nadia and starts walking toward them with his friend. Nadia is the only one that sits up and fixes her beach coverup.

"Hello Nathan," Nadia speaks but while she's looking at the other guy. "Who's your friend?"

"Ladies," Nate began. "This is Derek. Derek this is Nadia and Kaliah."

"Pleasure," Kali said nonchalantly as she clutched onto her novel. She could already tell Derek has peaked Nadia's interest.

"The pleasure's all mine," Derek smiled as he kissed both of their hands. "We were about to head out to West Bank and skate, you ladies wanna join?"

"We don't skate," Kali answered.

"What she...meant to say was, isn't West Bank closed off," Nadia asked with a flirty tone. "Trespassing would be bad."

The boys laughed.

"Derek don't give a damn about trespassin'," Nate informed them.

"Sounds tempting," Nadia smiled.

"Too bad we have somewhere to be today," Kali shrugged.

"It's cool," Derek smirked. "Maybe some other time in the future."

"Hopefully." Nadia crossed her legs.

The boys left and Kali hit Nadia with her book.

"I know what you're thinking," Kali hissed.

"Do you?"

"Uh, yeah. You're about to act on impulse. First with Myles and Derek's about to be next huh?"

"So what if he might be," Nadia looked over at her. "He's cute, he's single, he's-"

"How do you know he's single?"

"The way he was looking at me."

"Natural nature of a male. A frenzy happens when they see shiny new things. Plus he's talking about trespassing? Come on now." Kali starts to put her hair up into a bun.

"Kali...how can I live life if you're against me living it?"

. . . . .

At Vanessa's house, Lucy and Kian are hanging up a homemade garland of gold-painted autumn leaves around the livingroom and dining room.