336 32 15

It's been three days since the incident. Vanessa has yet to go home from the hospital. Kian had to bring her some food and clothes. He even checked in on Lucy who hasn't said a word since. With every day that passes without word of Nate's whereabouts, she becomes more worried; as if she wasn't worried enough already. 

Lucy's mother had to go to work so Kian volunteered to stick around. She really didn't want her daughter to be alone. So he cooked and he cleaned while Lucy cried off & on in her room all day.

He gently knocked on her cracked door & let himself in. Her room was dark and cold with her ceiling fan on full blast.

"Do you want some tea," Kian asked. 

"...He has a test today, you know? He was actually studying for it. He can't miss his test, Kian."

She tried to hold back her tears but her body was too weak to let that happen.

"He'll make up for it," Kian stated. "They're gonna find him, okay? Wherever he is, I'm sure he's fine."

"If he was fine, he would've found a way to call someone. So no, he's not okay! He's out there alone! Probably de--" Lucy shook for a moment before she broke down again. The thought alone broke her.

Kian walked and kneeled down next to her. "Let me help you, Lucy. What do you need? Just talk to me. I feel helpless."

"I don't know," she sobbed. "I need to shower and just be alone."

He watched as she attempted to get out of bed but then sat right back down.

"Do you need help?"

To his surprise, she nodded her head. But the tears continued to race down her cheeks. So he picked her up; carrying her to the bathroom.

"Just sit down here." He sat her down on the bathroom counter. "I'll start the water for you, okay?"

She grabbed his forearm & her lips parted to speak but then she let go. So Kian turned on the water for her, waiting for it to get warm enough. When he turned around, she was already naked.

"Oh shit," he blurted. He cleared his throat & quickly looked away. "Um, sorry, I'll just..."

Lucy was unbothered, moving past him to get in the shower & closing the glass door behind her. Instead of beginning to bathe, she just sat down under the stream of water. Kian didn't know why he was still in the bathroom, so he left her to it.

. . .

"Pretty," Vanessa heard Jack say. She was resting with her head on his hospital bed. His hand was right by her hair and he was able to lift a couple of his fingers to play in it.

"Ow," she whispered once he pulled too hard. But she sprung up and was happy to see Jack was awake. The day before, when he woke up for the first time, she wasn't allowed in the room while the doctors evaluated him.

His eyes seemed different, they seemed lost as he kept looking around the room. They absolutely weren't the same eyes that last looked at her before everything happened.

"Do you remember me, Jack? Please say you do," Vanessa kept her voice down since Jack's mother was asleep on the adjacent couch.

"Pretty," he trailed off once a toy commercial came on the TV then he started making loud noises, shaking his mother out her sleep. The noises didn't last long as they turned into laughs, seeing how he startled her.

"Nice to see you're awake Jack," his mother said, fixing her sweater. She stood up and patted Vanessa on the shoulder. "You want me to bring you some breakfast, dear?"