479 36 43

// ONE YEAR LATER //

Everyone is starting to come home for the summer. They have officially completed their first year of college.

Vanessa and Jack are at her house setting up for her welcome-back BBQ. They put tons of different inflatable floats in the pool and Jack filled all the coolers with ice, soda, and beer.

"Hey Nessa," Jack calls out.

"Hmm?"

"When you're done setting up, can we talk about something?"

"About what?" She stacked the plastic cups on the outside table.

"About us."

Vanessa paused. "Is it bad?"

"Not at all," he smiled.

"Oh." Vanessa let in a sharp inhale and walked back inside. "Sure we can talk later if I have time, okay?"

Jack knew she was avoiding him a little. Ever since Spring Break when he surprised her once he learned she stayed behind on campus for the week, she's been a bit standoffish. But she's never given them the chance to talk. But on Jack's end, absence only makes his heart grow fonder.

. . . . .

Meanwhile at CU, Lucy is in her dorm room packing everything up. Her roommate Kat is also there, finishing her laundry.

"So you're leaving tomorrow," Lucy asked her.

"Yep," Kat nodded. "Flights were cheaper tomorrow. You're lucky you're only an hour away."

"Yo," Nate spoke as he knocked on the opened the door. He was walking normally again; arm crutches no longer needed. "You got the keys?"

"Yep." Lucy tossed her car keys to him.

" Lucy tossed her car keys to him

"Cool. I'll be outside." He nodded at Kat and then left.

"Are you finally gonna hop on that this summer," Kat teased.

"No," Lucy laughed. "We're just friends."

"And ex-lovers. That flame never died out, come on."

"Did you forget when I told you about Nate and I that I also said he ended up cheating on me? I know you were there."

"I know but I've seen you two this entire year. You're so good together! And the way he looks at you? I fuckin' envy that. He's clearly changed."

"He got in a bad car accident & was temporarily paralyzed. That's enough to make anyone change. Besides, I like us as just friends."

"Okay well you enjoy your hour long drive & summer being just friends."

Lucy throws a pillow at her.