830 47 16

"Mister Gilinsky, much improved. Miss Durant, usual satisfactory. Miss...Ortega, see me after class."

    In their 6th period English class, Mr. Farrow was handing out the graded tests they all took last week. Jack got a B-, Lucy got a B+, and Nadia unusually got a D+. 

Nadia's breathing hastens, she's confused with her score. After class ended & the students left the classroom, Nadia remained in her seat. Mr. Farrow approaches her desk.

    "What's going on," he asks. "This isn't like you."

    Nadia shook her head. "Minor slip up?"

    "A minor slip up for you is a 'B-'...a 'C' at worst. This was a complete bomb."

    Mr. Farrow truly cared. He was still young himself so he understood. He wasn't just at West Bev to make a paycheck. Nadia understood this, but she couldn't handle the pep talks right now.

    "Yeah, can we talk about this later?" Nadia cleared her throat as she gathered her things. "I have tons of things to do before the pageant tomorrow."

    "I won't forget. Go get 'em."

    As soon as she got out the classroom, her books and papers fell.

    "Shit," she whispered to herself, trying to gather them back up quickly.

    As she reaches for the last thing, her blue folder, she sees a hand reach for it and holds her breath once she realizes it's John.

    "Thanks," she said plainly.

    "Don't mention it," he softly replied.

    That was all that was said before he continues walking down the hall. She missed him terribly and it ached deep in her heart.

. . . . .

    It was 7 PM when Nadia woke up; her bed was covered with class notes & open textbooks. Immediate panic set in. She had one hour before the dress boutique closed and she needed to pick up her pageant gown & shoes.

    "Mom," she frantically cried out into the hallway. "Mom! Why didn't you wake me up?!"

    "Nadia? Relax," her mother said as she peeked out her bedroom door. "I already got your pageant stuff, they're in the living room. Now keep it down, my novela is on!"

    Nadia took a deep breath but began to panic again once she remembered all she wanted to get done before the next day; all of her homework packets, at least one of her college admission essays, deep conditioning her hair, trying out different makeup looks, the list went on. This would take all night. She was fresh out of energy drinks & low on her weekly allowance. So she made a phone call.

    30 minutes later, she found herself outside of Myles's apartment building. Ten minutes after hesitating in the parking lot, she found herself knocking on his door. The inside of his place was far from what she expected. The grounds of the apartment complex were already a sight. 

She assumed since he was a drug dealer less than a year out of high school, that his living conditions would be less than. But they weren't. He lived with his cousin who was most likely also a dealer. The place was clean & neat, the floors were hardwood, everything had its place. You would've never thought a dealer lived here, then again, that's probably the whole point.

    He took Nadia to his room and closed the door behind him. It was freezing in there but she liked how calm the decor made her feel. He had incense burning, a record player beside a crate filled with vinyl, posters of his favorite bands, & dark grey curtains. On his nightstand was a lamp, a glass of water, & a stack of 3 novels. She didn't expect any of this at all. But she didn't come here to adore interior design, she came for caffeine pills. When she turned to look at Myles, he presented her with a 6-pack of Red Bull & a smile.