490 34 43

It's graduation day at West Bev High. All the students sat peacefully in the school's football stadium, dressed in their dark blue caps & gowns. Nadia was their beloved Valedictorian, standing on stage and rounding out her speech which was met with tremendous applause, especially from John.

In the crowd, Lucy looks over at Kian who is seated on the other side of the aisle. He's chewing on his cap's tassel and looking down at his lap, possibly on his phone.

When all was said and done, one by one, everyone got to walk the stage and get their diplomas. There was the occasional guy in sunglasses and flip flops trying to be cool. As the closing speech was being done by Principal Sampson, word was spreading about the end-of-the-year huge party being held at Mike Kiger's family beach house in Malibu.

. . .

It seemed as though all walks of life showed up to the party; meaning juniors like Nash, Matthew, and Madison came

It seemed as though all walks of life showed up to the party; meaning juniors like Nash, Matthew, and Madison came. Tiffany and Serenity had just shown up as the party finally kicked off and already Serenity bumped into Sammy.

"Hey," he awkwardly spoke.

"What's up?" Serenity fidgeted with the hem of her silk top.

"Wanted to make sure you were okay."

Serenity giggled. "I'm fine. How are you?"

"Oh you know, same ol' same. Are we- are we cool? I mean, can we be? It's just...we just graduated and new chapters are starting and I--"

"Sam," she stopped him. "We're cool, it's okay. I'm all cried out and I have New York City to look forward to. The best cosmetology school in the country, I can only imagine how many doors this will open for me."

"Are you coming back for the holidays?"

"Maybe," she thought. "Who knows? Don't wait up for me, though."

Serenity kisses Sammy on the cheek then locks arms with Tiffany to continue exploring the beach house. Tiffany was proud of her.

Meanwhile by the keg, Kian is filling up his second cup already and Lucy is next to him with her arms folded.

"Are you gonna say at least one word to me," she asks of him.

Kian fakes a concerned face. "Maybe not." He smiled.

"Wow, really?"

"What? You said one word...I gave you two."

"You can't seriously be upset with me after what you did. Don't you dare act like this was all my fault."

Kian takes a big gulp of his beer and walks through the party with Lucy trailing behind. "I never said it was your fault, sweetheart. I simply have a problem with your decision."

"And why?"

"Because couples talk things through first! They work on it. And at a time I need you most, you head for the hills for a goddamn break! You asked for it and I'm giving it to you. So leave me alone."