946 45 19

"Okay, take ten," Nadia instructed the girls.

Today is the tryouts for the cheerleading squad and Nadia is stressed out about it all. Luckily she has her best friend Kali there on the bleachers for moral support. 

Nadia goes and joins her as she downs all the water in her water bottle. "So what do you think?"

    "About what," Kali asked.

    "The girls! How did they look? Who do you think is a shoe-in?"

    "You know cheerleading is not my forte," Kali laughed.

    "It doesn't have to be in order to recognize talent when you see it. Come on."

    "Um okay. That Lia girl looked promising. Good, uh- posture and everything."

    "I was thinking that too," Nadia nodded. "Are you coming to Sammy's pool party tomorrow?"

    "Should I be?"

    "Um, yeah? It would be nice to have someone there that I'm actually close with."

    "Swazz-meister isn't going?"

    Nadia's face fell.

    "I don't know. He's been a little distant lately, you know?" Nadia answered. "With football and everything pressuring him this year, it just seems like there isn't any room for me."

    "Force him to make room then." Kali began to put her books back in her bag. "Send him a picture of the swimsuit you plan on wearing...he'll show up, I guarantee."

    "Do you know how many swimsuits I own?" Nadia grinned. "How will I pick the right one?"

    "I doubt he'd care. I have to get going."

    "But wait! You didn't tell me if you were going tomorrow or not!"

    Kali sighed and thought about it as she stood up. "Fine. I'll be there. And...I'm bringing a friend."

    "Can't wait to meet her!"

    Kali giggled. "Her...right."

. . . . .

    Cameron was giving Lucy a ride home since her car was in the shop. Lucy glanced at the backseat covered in t-shirts from his second job at the pizzeria.

    "You're different than the other guys at school," Lucy spoke.

    "How so?" Cameron chuckled.

    "You actually work two jobs even though your family is rich and could give you anything you want."

    "I just think it's important to keep some sort of humanity when you're, as you say, rich. I like to pay for my own stuff. My family believes in that too."

    "I can see that," Lucy nodded as she looked out the window. "You guys own one of the most successful chain stores on the west coast and you don't even live in a mansion like everyone else."

    Cam shrugged. "For what? It's only me & my parents. My sister lives with her boyfriend in San Fran. Why have a mansion when we can have a regular two-story home and save money on bills?"

    Lucy looked over at him and smiled.

    "What?" Cam chuckled.

    "Nothing," Lucy chuckled back.

    "Are you going to Sam's pool party tomorrow?"

    Lucy's smile faded. "I don't know yet."

    "Still worried Nate will be there?"