Chapter 19

Friday, 8:21am

I couldn't sleep all night long. Too many things were on my mind. Instead, i cried for the rest of the night. Now, i was exhausted and i had a headache.

It was almost 9am and i definitely was not going in to work. In fact, maybe i should quit. I can't make any music anymore. It's as if that music switch has been turned off in my brain.

I dialed Tim's number. He answered after the first ring.

"Hello?" said Tim.

"Um hi Tim. It's Jasmine. I just wanted to say that...i..." i stopped.

I couldn't believe i was about to quit. I finally had my dream job and i was about to give it up!

"I'm quitting," i said.

He was silent for a moment.

"What?" he asked. He sounded confused. Very confused.

"I'm quitting. I'm just going through a lot and i just can't focus anymore," i said.

"Jasmine, i've never met someone as enthusiastic as you are about music. I really don't want you to leave the project," he said, "are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yes, i'm sure," i said without hesitation

"Okay...i guess. I guess...i'll just find someone else," he said. He sounded a little sad.

"I have to go," i said and hung up.

I felt a little regret. But this was for the best.

As i was sorting through my thoughts, my phone started to ring. I felt a leap of fear inside me when i saw who it was.

Terrell.

He had been calling and texting me all the time since i left the apartment. I had ignored everything.

I debated over if i should answer it. I hated him right now. But if i didn't answer, he would keep calling me and possibly even come after me. I couldn't ignore him forever. I answered the phone.

"Hello?" i said shakily.

"Jasmine, why have you been ignoring my texts and calls? Where are you?" he asked.

"Terrell, leave me alone! I'm no longer your property!" i said.

"Yes, you are. I told you this isn't over. I'm going to find you and i'm going to get you back," he said.

"Are you threatening to kidnap me?" i asked.

"I wouldn't say threatening," he said.

"Leave me the hell alone. Just go away. Date someone else," i said.

"No. Never," he said.

"Go away!" i said with frustration.

"I won't go away until i have you again. Watch your back, Jasmine," he said, menacingly.

He hung up. Great. Now, my ex fiance is threatening me. Oh, how can it get any worse?

My mom knocked on my bedroom door.

"Honey? Can i come in?" she asked.

"Yes," i said.

She came in and closed the door. She sat down next to me.

"I need to tell you something. It's about me and Phil," she said.

"What is it?" i asked.

"Well...we're getting married!" she said with a big smile.

And....things just got worse.

"What? No! You can't!" i said.

"Why not?" she asked, her smile turning into a frown.

"Have you forgot about dad? You can't just forget what you had with him and marry someone else!" i said angrily.

"Honey, your dad has been gone for 11 years. I can't just stay alone forever," she said.

"Why not? Why do you even want to marry that dusty, old man?" i asked.

"Now that's quite enough! Don't you dare talk about Phil that way!" she yelled.

My door opened to reveal Phil. His stupid grey hair was messy. He was wearing a stupid black robe.

"Is everything okay in here?" he asked.

"Yes, Phil. Everything is fine," said my mom. She walked over to Phil. He wrapped a arm around her.

"Would it kill you to knock on the door?" i asked with a scowl.

"Stop it," said my mom.

"It's okay, Carol. I know that she didn't mean it," he said.

God, i hate him so much.

"Did you tell her the good news?" asked Phil.

"Yes, i did," she said, "she's not too happy about it."

"Well, i'm sure she'll learn to like it," he said.

"Oh shut the hell up. You're so fake. You're just a dirty old man," i said sourly.

I tried to hold back my hatred, but i couldn't.

"You better watch your mouth. I'm letting you stay here because you don't have anywhere else to go. But if i have to, i will kick you out," said my mom.

"Wow, you would just kick me out and leave me out on the streets while i'm going through all this. That's great to know," i said.

I stood up.

"I'm going to make breakfast," i said.

I pushed past them and entered the kitchen.

Johnny's pov

9:01am

I barely even wanted to come into work today. I was up all night. But there was no way i could call in. Just like Tim said, i couldn't let my personal life get in the way. As i was walking down a hall in the studio, i saw Tim. He was panicking. He was yelling at someone on his phone.

"Come on! I need someone! If this music isn't done by the deadline, i'll be screwed!" he yelled.

He listened to the person on the phone for a few seconds.

"You're always busy! Just forget it!" he hung up the phone.

"Tim?" i asked as i approached him, "what's going on?"

"Jasmine! She quit!" he cried.

"What?! Why?" i asked.

"She said she was going through a lot and she wouldn't be able to focus," he said.

This was insane. What was going on inside her head?

"What could she even be going through that would make her quit?" he asked.

"Her baby son died. He was killed by his dad," i said.

His demeanor changed. He looked like he felt sorry. He was speechless.

"That's...that's very awful. I saw her son before. He was a cute kid," he said almost inaudibly.

The only sounds between us for a few moments were the voices coming from behind closed doors and cars driving by the studio.

"I really wish she would stay," he said.

"Maybe...you know.....i could try to talk to her about it after work," i said.

"You think you could?" he asked.

"Yeah. What's her address?" i asked.

"Both of her addresses are in her application. I'll email it to you," he said.

"Yeah, that will work."

"Okay, for now let's get to work. I don't want to be behind on anything else," he said.

We began to walk to the set room. As we did, i thought about later on after work. Jasmine wouldn't want to talk to me. I knew that. She hated me now! How was i going to possibly do this?