1| homely

The journey from hell to heaven takes about four hours and a whole night passed out, believe me when I say this. Though it had been eight years since I had escaped, the memories that accompanied me along to the better side had not faded. The screams and the tears, the blood and the fear, the thoughts of those still made my heart race at a hundred miles an hour, and made my mouth dry.

My mother always told me that good and bad times don't last forever, life is like a rollercoaster, and to enjoy or not is your choice. At that time, never having seen a rollercoaster, that piece of advice hadn't made any sense to me, but today I understood that it meant that life is thrilling, only if you're not afraid of it.

"Rosie!" I heard a shout from a distance. I was standing at the very same spot where I had begun my new life, looking into the beautiful eyes of the very same man who helped me build it.

Back then he was a tall lanky boy, with gorgeous eyes and a crooked smile. His hair used to be messy and long, slicked back with sweat, but now it was short and cropped and his body had grown in muscles to match his height.

"Hey stranger." I smiled back, slowly making my way towards my best friend who wrapped his arms around me in a comforting hug.

"How long have you been standing here?" He asked me while refusing to let go and pinching my sides playfully.

"Not long." I shrugged, but he caught my lie and held me a little away from his body to look into my eyes.

"Who are you lying to?" His rhetoric question make me bite my lip and look at him sheepishly.

"Two hours."

"Rosie."

"Sorry, this place just makes me nostalgic." I starting walking towards the pack house, not looking back at him.

"You have nothing to apologise for." He caught upto me and slung an arm around my shoulder.

"I know." I smirked, starting to feel more like my usual self now that we were getting away from the border. "You on the other hand do!"

"Why, may I ask?" He playfully entertained me.

"Well, you mister haven't written to me in a long time." I retorted.

"Write to you where? You don't even have a permanent address. I have asked you to come stay with us a million times but no-"

"Oh shut up, you know I love living the rogue life." I nudged him. "And plus, your pack is not worthy of a person as great as me!"

"My pack is the best pack in the whole wide world." He frowned at me.

"How old are you again Mr. Αlpha?" I teased him. We had reached the pack house and I saw the members giving me welcoming smiles. I knew that most of them secretly hoped that I was James mate, there had been a couple of instances were people had told me the same too, but their hopes were shattered when they realised that it was not the case.

"Five. Plus twenty." He grinned.

I made a kissy face at him.

"By the way, nice clothes." He looked down at my fluorescent pink clad body courtesy of his annoying cousins Patricia and Julia Donavan.

"Need to murder those brats." I noted to myself.

"Speak of the devil." James nodded in the direction of the door where his two sisters waltzed into the room with bright smiles on their face.

"Rose!" Patricia and Julia tackled me down and tried very hard to squeeze the life out of me.

"Girls, off!"

"We missed you!" Came their synchronised reply. I could easily push them off but I enjoyed the love that they were showering on me via the very rowdy hug.

"Αlpha James, want to help me out here?" I asked him sweetly. He was leaning against the counter with a stunning smile on his face and raised his glass of water towards me in acknowledgement.

"Nope." Popping the p's and everything.

"Okay then." I pushed the two of them off me but enveloped them in my own kind of hug after everyone was vertical. They looked at me with an expectant smile.

"Are the two of you mates yet?" Patricia asked me with eager eyes.

"I told you this last time, if he was my mate I would know by now." I explained to the eager teenagers. They faces fell for a moment but hope returned.

"Are you here to stay though?" It was Julia's turn to question me this time.

"For a month." I nodded, I had injured myself a while back and didn't rest long enough for it to heal as I had a fight with another rogue who was hot on my trail ever since. It had started with something as simple as me telling him to "get a life" because of his weird insistence of wanting to sleep with me. Apparently his pride took that as an insult and as a result I was stuck with him chasing after me for a long time. But James didn't need to know that.

His protectiveness over his so called 'wild friend', that is me, was unbearable when it came to men, god forbid if someone from his pack tried to woo me, I would have their head handed to me on a silver platter. It was easy to see why his pack had assumed that I would end up being his mate.

"A month! That's long, what happened?" James asked me with raised eyebrows.

"I missed you Jamie!" I mumbled in a baby voice, pretending to be upset. "You didn't miss me too?"

"When you're an Αlpha you don't have time to miss insignificant people." He scoffed haughtily.

"Get yourself a man who calls you insignificant, girls." I slow clapped while and gave a pointed look to Patricia and Julia who were quietly giggling away. "For now, I need sleep. Lots and lots of it, on a warm bed with soft sheets and maybe a box or two of good chocolate."

"I think you're looking for a hotel Rose." James eyes twinkled.

"Nah, I'm looking for a personal slave. Oh wait look! I found one, you." I made my way towards the perpetually unoccupied guest room.

"And thus the Αlpha is made into a slave."

~•~•~•~•~•~

A/N: Chapter One, up and edited!