Chapter 6 - Free Throws

I rest on the sofa with this large pig laying on my stomach. I cuddle it, remembering two nights ago. When I also kissed my best friend. But, maybe I was over reacting. Maybe I was reading too much into it. I needed to know what was going on, considering I haven’t spoken to Blake since that night.

I search for his name through my contacts. When I find it, I click it. I wait a couple of rings before his deep morning voice answer the phone.

 “Hello?” Blake says. His voice raspier that usually.

 “Hey. Its me. I wanted to know if you were free later, to hang out”

 “Actually, I have practice but afterwards maybe you can come by the gym”

 “Ok, that sounds good. Bye”

 “See you then.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wore a denim romper with a black purse and black flats. My hair was down. I got to the gym about 3:30. Because I was now the manager at “The Goods” I could boss everyone around and didn’t need to be in as often as Kylie.

When I enter the Clippers gym I see Blake in a sweaty clippers shirt. He is with the trainer but when he sees me, he says something to the trainer before the trainer walks off and leaves. We were alone.

“Hi” I say feeling somewhat uncomfortable giving him a hug.

But Blake notices something is wrong. “Is everything ok?” He asks.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t it be?”

I sat on the floor as Blake practiced his free throws. He was really bad. I chuckled about how bad he was. He raised an eyebrow at me.

 “What?” he says walking over to me

 “Did you know you’re really bad at free throws?” He rolls his eyes. “How could anyone be that bad?” I was rolling around on the floor with laughter at this point.

 “Like you’re any better.” He suggests.

“Well I’m probably not awful”

“Lets see about that.” Blake tosses the ball to me as I stand up. I walk over to the free throw line. I take a shot. And another. And a couple more. I miss everyone. Blake comes up behind me and puts his chin on my shoulder.

“Oh, look at that. ‘How could anyone be that bad?’ He said mocking me.

“In my defense, I’m not a professional basketball, unlike some people.” He stands up straight.

“I’m working on my it and I’ve gotten better.”

“If you suck now and you’ve gotten better, what on earth were you like before?” Blake playfully pushes my shoulder and we both laugh.

“C’mon, I’ll show you.” I stand on the free throw line facing the basket, ball in hand. Blake stands behind me and puts his arms around mine. His warmth sent chills through my body. He could feel me tense up because all he whispered in my ear was “Relax” but that I did just the opposite. I felt goose bumps appear as Blake slid his hands down my arms to my hands. He places my arms upward, in a position for shooting the ball. I bend my knees a bit and release the ball. This time that ball goes perfectly into the basket.

“Yay!” I exclaim, and Blake lets out a small chuckle. I turn to face Blake. He is still holding my hand. Before I know we are face to face. We gaze into each other’s eyes. My hair falls in my face. Blake pushes my hair behind my hair. His does one of those sexy half smirks that guys do, and I die a little inside. Blake leans in.

“Blake” was all I managed to say in a sigh.

“Shhhh” was all he said in return. He put his hand under my chin and raised it. Soon enough, his lips brush against mine. But before anything happenes… 

“I hear your heart beat to the beat of the drum. Oh, what a shame that you came here with someone. So while you're here in my arms. Let's make the most till the night like we're gonna die young. We're gonna die young. We're gonna die young”

 Again. I quickly pull away from Blake and pick up my bag. I pull out my phone and see Kylie’s name flash across the screen. I answer it. There was a problem at work and I needed to be there. Once I hang up the phone, I can feel Blake’s eyes on me.

 “Saved by the bell?” He says in a hushed tone.

“I have to go…” I pick up bag and exit before he could stop me.