Chapter 29 - Bonfire Blues

The next night at the bonfire I wore a red and white striped shirt with a brown waist belt. I put on black shorts and a gold necklace. Kylie wore a white shirt with baby blue jeans. We all met up at the beach at 9. A while after we got there, I felt someone’s hands cover my eyes.

“Guess who?” I hear them say but I knew exactly who it was.

“Blake.” I say uncomfortable and push his hands off of me. He sighs as his smile fads away and pulls up a chair next to me.

“Melanie, you’ve barely said two words since we got here. Are you ok?” Deandre asks me. It seems when he speaks up, all the focus from everyone sitting around the bond fire turns to me.

“Yeah, um, I’m just not feeling too good. Excuse me.” I get up and walk away from the group. I could not even get two feet away before I hear Blake’s voice and feel him pulling on my lower arm and turns me around.

“Can I talk to you alone?”

I look around at all the people then say “ok”, then walk to somewhere more private.

When we’re far enough from everyone else we stand in front of one another.

“What is it?” I ask him, folding my arms and shrugging my shoulders.

“Will you please just talk to me?” Blake sounded desperate.

“What are you talking about?”

“Ever since yesterday, I’ve felt like whenever I’m around, you just become real quiet. I mean, did I do something wrong?”

“No.”

“Then what is it? What’s up with you?”

“Blake, what are we?”

“I’m so confused.”

“We’re not just friends anymore. But we’re not boyfriend and girlfriend. Are we just friends with benefits? It that all I am to you?”

“What? No. Where is all this coming from?”

“Gwen was right.”

“Gwen? Melanie I hope you know you’re not making any sense right now.”

“I saw Gwen today and she made me realize something. We’ve been sleeping together for sometime now but we haven’t made anything official. I judge her and call her every bad name in the dictionary but I’m no better. I just have meaning less sex with you with no strings attached? Who does that?”

“Meaning less?”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“Why does it matter whether we put a label on things or not?”

“Because…”

“What is it?” Blake takes me hands and looks me in the eyes.

“If we don’t, I’ll feel like Gwen meant more to you than I do.”

“How could you think that?”

“Because she was you’re girlfriend and I’m not. You began a relationship with her in like two weeks and wasn’t afraid to scream to the world that you two were together. I just feel you’ve never going to think about me that way.”

“But I already do.”

“Then why can’t we just make it official?”

“I just don’t thinks it’s that big of an deal. It doesn’t matter whether we put a label on this or not.”

“Ok.” I turn and begin to walk off.

“Where are you going?” Blake calls after me.

“It doesn’t matter? Right? So we don’t matter and I sure as hell don’t matter.”

“You know I didn’t mean it that way.”

“Whatever.” I turn and walk away again.

“Where are you going?”

“Home.”

“What about everyone here?”

I turn to him. “ Just tell them I wasn’t feeling well and left.”

“But you got a ride with Kylie. How are you supposed to get home?”

“I’ll walk.” I leave and this time I don’t look back. 

-------------------------------------------

I walk for about 20 minutes before reaching a park. I used to go there all the time together. I walk into the park and make my way over to the swings. I sit and lightly swing. I sit with my arms folded trying to warm myself by rubbing my upper arms. I sit alone for about 10 minutes and hear footsteps behind me. When I turn, I see a familiar face standing about 5 feet away from me.

I haven’t seen him in a while and am taken back but how good he still looks.

“Hi Melanie.” He says walking closer.

I let out a deep breath. “Hi Andrew…”

-------------

Vote. COMMENT. Share. 

I was going to dedication this chapter to an individual person, but I have so many loyal, and sweet and awesome readers so I want to dedicate this chapter and the rest of them to all of you :) I know it seems cheesey but, I love cheese...Just kidding, I hate cheese. Enjoy and Happy Reading :)