Chapter 16 - Anywhere But Here

It's two weeks later and Blake's birthday. Deandre, Andrew, Matthew, Kylie, Leah and I were all treating to a birthday dinner. Gwen would be there too. We all go to Red Lobster and get a table for 8. I wear a light pink shirt with a peachish colored skirt. Gwen wore a yellow dress with blue, white and black dots. It was matched with black peep toe heels. Leah wore a white dress with black dots. Kylie wears a cream dress with navy blue designs and royal blue shoes. 

--------------------------------------------------------

When we got to the restaurant, I sat between Andrew and Kylie. After we ordered, we sat having conversation and enjoying each other's company. That is until Kylie spoke up.

"So Gwen," Kylie began "I feel like I know nothing about you. Actually, besides Blake, none of us do."

"Your point?" Gwen asked with a smile but I could tell she was annoyed and didn't like Kylie.

"My point? Tell us about yourself. Your work, family, anything would be nice. How about we start with college?"

Blake cuts in. "That's not necessary. I know everything I need to."

"Really?" Kylie asks him.

"Yeah." He answers.

"So you're absolutely sure there's nothing she is hiding from you?"

"Kylie." Gwen says. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Why not?" Kylie says before getting up and following Gwen into the ladies restroom. She motions for Leah and me to follow.

-------------------------------------------------------

Gwen seems somewhat frustrated when we enter the bathroom.

"I'm pretty sure, I wanted to speak with Kylie."

"Really? Because I'm pretty sure we don't care." Leah snaps back at her.

"Look," Gwen says raising her voice a bit. "I know what you were doing out there. And it's not gonna work. Blake is wrapped around my pretty little finger. And if you talk, I talk."

Kylie begins to look worried.

"What are you talking about?" I ask Gwen.

"Kylie knows. Should I tell them or do you want to?" Gwen responds.

Kylie stayed quiet and just stared at the ground.

"Fine. Girls, I wasn't the only one a little slutty back in college. That's right. You see, our little Kylie here got knocked up, but because she didn't the daddy, she aborted it. I wonder how you boyfriend, Matt right? Would react when he found that out. Yikes! I mean his mother was a teen mom, right? It would suck to find out your girlfriend killed her kid when she was only nineteen. " Gwen mocked Kylie.

Tears foamed in Kylie's eyes as Gwen spoke. Leah and I stood still without speaking, we were both in shock. Gwen began waling toward the door, but stood in front of me.

"Wanna know a secret ? I was on birth control back in college, but I'm not now," she moves closer to my ear and whispers the last part "And Blake and I do it. Every. Single. Night." She finishes before bumping my shoulder and walking out.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I try to not let Gwen's comment about Blake get to me. I suck up the tears building up in the eyes and push the thought out of my head. I focused on Kylie.

"You had an abortion?" I ask Kylie.

"You don't understand."

"Kylie. It's a yes or no question."

"Yes."

"Oh god." Leah speaks up. I roll my eyes and before I could exit, Kylie talks to me.

"Can I explain?"

"Explain what?" I yell, furious with her. "How you murdered your kid? How we have been friends as long a I can remember and you didn't even bother to tell me you were pregnant in the first place? How Gwen knew and we didn't? Where would you like to start Kylie?"

"How are you upset? You're mad at me for something that has nothing to do with?

"You know how I feel about that."

"And that is exactly why I didn't tell you. I was already struggling and I didn't need you to judge me anymore than everyone at school already was."

"You're unbelievable."

"Me? I'm unbelievable? So everyone else in the world is messed up and you're little miss perfect, right?"

"I never said I was perfect. I own up to my mistakes and issues, something you clearly have a problem with."

"Right. Coming from the girl that is sexual attracted to her best friend but doesn't admit to it because she doesn't want to ruin her perfect little relationship, which isn't so perfect, now is it?"

"Will you two stop it?" Leah yells at the both of us. I roll my eyes again and walk out.

"Where are you going?" Leah asks me.

"Anywhere but here."

----------------------------------------------------------------

I lay on my bed wearing a gray crop top with a piece sign colored with the American flag and black short shorts. I lay under the covers with my head on the pillow and the pink pig, Blake gave me a while back, on my stomach. I hear the front door open and close, then foot steps toward my bedroom door. When the door is pushed open, I hear a voice.

"Hey." I couldn't see the face because it was dark but I knew this voice belonged to Kylie.

"Hey." I respond. But then we both break down.

"I'm sorry." We say in unison. Kylie runs to me and sits on the edge of my bed and I sit up and we embrace.

"The abortion was selfish and stupid and if I didn't want to get pregnant I should have been more careful. I should have told you. You own up to the mistakes you made and I admire you for it. I shouldn't have said you think you're perfect and should have never brought up the whole 'Blake thing." Kylie tells me while letting the tears fall from her eyes.

"No. You were right. It was none of my business and if I was a true friend, I would support and not judge you for it. And I put myself on some stupid pedestal and I'm no better than anyone else. I have this amazing boyfriend but still look for something more. I'm picky and annoying." I say to Kylie.

"I love you."

"I love you too." We hug again and she lays the bed next to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

We lay in the dark, in silence, until I break it.

"Listen, just forget the whole 'expose Gwen' thing."

"That's probably a good idea."

The door is opened again, revealing Leah.

"Everything happy again?"

"Yep" Kylie tells her, popping the P.

"Good" Leah says exhaling and throwing herself on the bed. We all begin laughing.