Chapter 41 - Surprise: Part Two

I stand there in shock and at a complete loss of words. I swallow hard and he begins the conversation.

"Hi" He says softly. When he speaks it's like all of our memories together come flushing back to me. Like when he finally asked me to be his girlfriend or when he first told me that loved me.

I exhale heavily. "Wh-what are you doing here?"

"Can I come in?"

I stand there, motionless.

"Please?" He asks. I step aside and allow him in. He walks in and looks around. "Nice place you've got here."

I close the door. I turn to him in disbelief. He was acting as if we were old friends who hadn't seen each other in years and didn't know what to say. I repeat myself. "Blake. What are you doing here?"

He turns to me and says "I came to see you."

"Why?"

"I need to talk to you."

"And you suddenly forgot how to use a phone?"

"I needed to do this is person. I want to talk to you about what happened between us all those months ago."

"Why now? You had plenty of time to talk to me before I left. You could've talk to me but no. You had to have known I was leaving. You couldn't put your stupid pride aside to talk to me or even say goodbye."

"I know and I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?" I scoff.

"Yes, I am. I didn't what to say. But I want you to know I wanted to work things out. I wanted you to stay."

"I had no idea. After what you said I assumed you were done with me."

"I wasn't. I am far from it."

"I was torn up and hated myself for ever hurting you. And now, you say you wanted to work things out?"

"I did. Okay? And I still do."

"You know what the crazy things about all of this is? If you would of just told me too, I would of stayed." Slowly tears ran down my face.

"I thought it would be best if we had some time to clear our heads. We had been so overwhelmed. I didn't want to push."

"So why now? I've been gone twleve months." I raise my voice so Blake knew how hurt I still was but not enough that Derek could hear me. "What's changed that you choose now to finally want to talk to me?"

"A bunch of us were out a couple days ago. Kylie mentioned that you might be staying longer than expected. And I can't take being without you any longer." Blake proceeds toward me and places his large hands on my cheeks, wiping my tears away with his thumbs. "I love you...Please. Just come home with me."

I push his hands off me and walk to the other side of him. "No. You can't just show up and say you want me back and expect me to drop everything here and go with you. It's not that simple."

"Why not?" Frustration in the shape of tears began to build up in Blake.

"Because the circumstances are different now."

"What does that even mean?"

"Mel, what on earth is taking you so long?" Derek says appearing out of my room only in his boxers. I silently thanked God that he even decided to put that on. It takes a second before he notices Blake. "Hey." Derek says awkwardly.

"Melanie," Blake says grabbing my attention. "Care to introduce us?" Blake asks sounding a little pissed.

"No. Not really."

"Mel, who is this?" Derek asks me, putting his arm around my waist.

Blake looked at me as they both waited for a response. "No one. He was just leaving."

Looking like a heartbroken, Blake mutters, "Okay" and leaves.

When I finally turn to face Derek, he notices that I had been crying.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He takes my hands in his.

"Nothing." I look up at him. "Can we please just forget about this and enjoy the rest of our night?"

"Sure." I cup Derek's face in my hands and kiss him. He wraps an arm around me and gently places a kiss to my forehead. We take the wine and glasses and enjoy what was left of the night in my room.