Chapter 38 - Répondez S'il Vous Plaît

“Melanie!” I hear Kylie yelling as I enter the living room. “What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Kylie, I told you not to throw me a surprise going away party.” I tell her.

“I’m not. But if I was…plenty of people are already coming so it’s too late to cancel.”

“People like who?”

“Amber, Deandre, Matt, Gloria, Ash, Oliv-”

I cut her off before she could finish. “Blake?”

We look at each other for a while without speaking.

"He didn't rsvp."

I sigh. “I can’t believe I haven’t spoken to him in two whole weeks.”

“Well I can’t believe you’re leaving so soon.”

“I know. Me neither. I’m so overwhelmed and worried I’ll forget something.”

“And having Blake around would make it better?”

I look up at Kylie with puppy dog eyes and nod. “Much better.”

“I’m sorry.” Kylie begins. “Did you guys even official break up?”

“I don’t know. We both said really messed up things. Things that we cant take back and neither of us has reached out to the other and I’m leaving tomorrow.”

“Does he even know you’re leaving?”

“I have no idea. I guess so. I mean, I haven’t told him but Deandre and Matt and the girls know so I’m assuming he does too.”

“I don’t know why you don’t just call him.”

“I can’t. After what I said, he probably hates me.”

“Mel. You’re leaving. For an entire year. I think Blake would want to speak to you and see you before you travel an ocean away. Just talk to him. None of what you said, when you were hurt and angry by the way, will matter. ”

“It's not that simple.”

“Why the hell not?”

“Becaus-” I start but the phone rings and I don’t get to finish. “Hello?” I say answering it. I put my index finger up to Kylie, telling her to hold on. “Yeah. She’s right here. The phone is for you.” I say handing it to her.

“Don’t think we’re finished here.” She tells me covering the speaking part of the phone.

“Sure.” I say before walking off to my room.

-------------------------------------

The next day, I’m doing some last minute shopping. Also Kylie has to get everything set up for me “surprise” party. I wear a red strapless top with light blue jeans and light brown boots.

I get back home at about 2 and my flight doesn’t leave until 9 so I had time to kill. I hesitant to open the front door but when I do, about 30 people yell surprise at me. I began greeting everyone and thanking them for coming. Deandre, Amber, Olivia, Ashely, Jennifer, Maya, Leah, Matthew and Cory were among the people that showed. Including my parents.

I pull Kylie to the side. “I can’t believe you got everyone here. And my parents? How?”

“It took some planning and some begging and I had to pull a few strings but we all decided we love you and it was worth it.”

I take a quick glance around the room. “No Blake?”

“No. Sorry.” I feel sadness wash over me as I look at the ground.

All of a sudden, I didn’t want to be there. I just wanted to crawl into my bed and sleep until it was time to go.

“Hey.” Kylie says interrupting my mental pity party. “Look at all the people who did show up. No worries. Blake is missing out.” I give a weak smile to Kylie and she takes it. She leads me back to a room full of people who wanted to wish me well.

---------------------------------------

The time was approaching and it was almost time for me to go.

“Quiet down. A few words from the guest of honor.” Kylie says letting me take the floor.

“Thank you. Well, first off I want to say thanks for everyone for showing. You guys mean so much to me and you have all been there for me through a lot. And I’m super glad to know that I’ll have you guys here for me when I get back. I know a year seems long but I’ll be back. You can’t get rid of me that easy.” A light round of laughter poured from the crowd. “I know some weren’t able to be here tonight. But I’m sure work or something came up.” I look at Deandre and he knows exactly who I was talking about. The real reason Blake wasn’t here was because he didn’t want to be. “So thanks again, and I hope you had a great time and I hope you can survive a year without me.”

An hour later, some of the guys were helping me pack things into Kylie’s new Jeep. She was going to drive me to LAX. When we get there it takes me a while to get out. I sit in the car for about five minutes but then Kylie helps me get my things out. I giver her a huge hug and board the plane. Ten hours later I land…