Chapter 11 - Road Games

The next morning I wake up at 9:00 and get ready for church. I try and go every Sunday but after last night, I knew I needed to clear my head. I wear a button down brown floral patterned shirt with black pants and black open toed shoes.

 After going grocery shopping, I reach home at about 1:00. When I get home Kylie and Matt are awake. “You have a message.” Kylie tells me after I pack away the groceries. I left my phone at home so the person must have called on the landline. I listen to the message in my room.

“Hey,” I hear the familiar voice begin “Um, I am going away with the team on a six game rode trip for two weeks. We leave today and I wanted to see you before I left. Meet me at the Venice Beach at 2? I need to be at the airport by 5, so I don’t have much time. See you later?”

Blake’s words were clear. He wanted to see me. But I don’t think I was ready to see him. I was still wrapping my head around the events that took place just the night before. I didn’t know what to do. But I think about what I said to Blake yesterday, I did miss him and didn’t want to risk things being awkward or uncomfortable with us, I put my worries to the side and get ready to meet with him. When I begin to get it I speed up, realizing it is already 1:48pm I put on a colorful floral shirt and white shorts. I put my hair in a fishtail braid to the side and slip on black flats.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 I get to the park at 2:10pm and see Blake sitting on a bench near the basketball court.

“Hey.” I say walking up and greeting him. He smiles. “What’s up?” I ask him.

“Let’s walk.” He says, motioning his head in the direction of the beach.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We take off our shoes and hold them in our hand as we walk across the hot sand near the ocean. Often the tide comes in and water passes over our feet. Also occasionally, because we walk so close to each other, our hands brush against each other.

“This is nice.” He says, breaking the silence.

“What is?”

“Just walking here, alone.”

“Actually, I think we’ve had to much alone time.” I say chuckling.

“Right. About last night-”

“Don’t even. Can we just forget about it?”

“Forget? Yeah. We can do that.” He sounded unsure but I just brush it off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We sit on the sand now. Far enough so that we don’t get wet, but still close to the ocean.

“So 7 game road trip?” I ask.

“Yeah. OKC. Knicks. Boston. Kings. Memphis. Suns. Spurs.”

“You gonna come see me when you get back?”

“Duh. I mean, where else would I be?”

I try to hide the smile appears on my face but I can’t. Not to mention the redness in my cheeks from blushing. I take my phone out of my pocket and check the time. I frown when it reads 4:15.  I show Blake my phone and he sighs.

“Looks like it’s time to go.” He says before getting up. He puts out a hand to help me up. We begin walking back to the boardwalk. I brush off the back of my shorts, which contain sand. Blake speaks.

“You need any help with that?” he says checking my backside. I playfully push him away and shake my head at him. When we get back to my car he gives me a hug and walks toward his.