Chapter 24 - What Friends Are For

I struggle to open my eyes as I toss and turn awake. When I finally awake, it is revealed that I am alone in bed. I try to gather my thoughts about what happened the night before. I look under the covers to find myself completely naked. "Fuck" I say remembering the events that took place last night. Sleeping with Blake the night I found out my boyfriend was cheating on me was stupid and selfish. I hop out of bed and gather my clothes from around the room and throw them on. I run my fingers through my hair, trying to contain it. Then I realize, my shoes weren't in the room or anywhere upstairs. They must of came off between me sitting down and when Blake carried me upstairs. I slowly walk down the stairs, tip toeing so Blake doesn't hear me. I don't know why, but I didn't want to see him right now. After what happened, I really didn't want to have to face him and talk to him. But I owed him something more than sneaking out of his house the morning after we spent the night together. I reach the bottom step and put my shoes on. I hear Blake in the kitchen and walk over and open the door.

Blake stands in the kitchen, by the island. He was eating breakfast. There were two plates so I was guessing the other one was for me.

“Hey.” I saw to him when I walk in. He turns around and walks right up to me. He bends down and places a soft and steady yet passionate kiss to my lips. I am taken back by this and when he pulls away, I feel somewhat light headed.

“Sorry I got outta bed. I thought you might like some breakfast.”

“It’s ok…You made this?”

“Of course not” We both laugh at this. “I picked it up. Sit. Eat.”

“Um…thanks but no thanks. I have to get home then get to work.”

“Come on. You should eat.”

“Blake. No.

"At least have a cup of juice or something. Breakfast is the most important meal of the say, right?"

"I'll be fine."

"Well I think you-"

"Can we not do this?”

"Do what?"

“Play house!” I say raising my voice a bit. 

The room goes silence. Blake sits at the island is the middle of the kitchen and tosses his eggs around his plate with his fork. I pull my phone out of my back pocket and check the time. It reads 8:46am.

“Look. I should probably get going.”

“Ok.” Blake didn’t even look at me when he spoke. I walk out of the kitchen and exit his house. I go outside and head to my car. I don’t drive off but just sit in the car. I take a deep breath and look back at Blake’s house. I wanted to go back, but I knew it was a bad idea. I finally decide to drive off.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I arrive at work late. I wear white pants with a green tank top and a blue sleeveless button down over it.

“Hey.” Kylie says greeting me when I walk in. She wears a black lace shirt over a grey tank top with lime green skinny jeans. She gives me a hug. “I was kinda worried when I didn’t see you at home this morning.”

“Um, yeah.” I don’t speak much. There was a lot Kylie didn’t know and I needed to fill her in on all of it.

“But, then I realized you and Andrew just probably spent the night together.”

“Yeah. Listen…” I tense up and walk over to the counter. I place my bag down before getting behind the cash register.

“What is it?” Kylie asks. She follow me to the counter and stands on the opposite side.

“Andrew and I…we broke up.”

“What? I’m so sorry sweetie.” She reaches over and hugs me across the check out counter. The store was pretty empty and mostly employees were there. Then she pulls away and looks at me. “But if you weren’t with Andrew last night, where were you?”

I swallow hard. “I spent the night at Blake's.”

“Really? What did you do there?”

“We slept together.” I say casually, looking through papers. 

“You what?” Kylie practically yells. Everyone in the store looks over at us. I take Kylie’s arm and pull her into the back room.

“Would you keep it down?” I ask her in a whisper.

“Melanie Jessica Hill. What do you mean by “slept” together?” She puts air quotes around slept.

“We…had…sex.” I tell Kylie. She squeals and I cover her mouth until she stops. “Seriously, shut up.”

“Why? This is exciting.”

“Not exactly.”

“What do you mean? What’s wrong now?”

“It’s not the fact that we were together that’s the problem, the reason why is the issue.”

“What? Because you broke up with Andrew the same night? If you decided that you were over him and wanted to be with someone else, that’s your choice. No one has the right to judge you. And if they do, they’ll have me to deal with.”

“I broke up with Andrew only because I caught him cheating on me.”

“What?”

“Yeah. I am not over him. In fact, I’m still very much in love with him. And the only reason I was even at Blake’s was because I had nowhere else to go. No one to talk to. And he was there and being really sweet and one thing lead to another and…you know the ending.”

“I’m so sorry. I can’t believe any of this.”

“Yeah. Well, just imagine how I feel.”

“Wait…so do you have feelings…like romantic feelings for Blake?”

“Oh god, I don’t know. I mean I think so. But I just ended things with Andrew. If I’m sure about anything right now, it’s that I don’t want Blake to just be some rebound guy. I care about him to much to just be with him, because I’m not with Andrew.”

“I can’t even begin to imagine what must going through your head right now. I’m sorry. And if you need anything I’m here for you.” Kylie pulls me in and gives me a big hug. “And speaking of needing anything. Your party is coming up.”

“Oh my god. I completely forgot about that. How am I going to get everything done in time?”

“Well, invitations have been sent, the place has been finalized and catering is covered. Just the little details need to fall into place. And like I said, I am here if you need help with anything.”

“Thank you so much.” I hug Kylie.

“What are best friends for?” We smile at each other, then interlock arms and walk out of the storage room. 

------------------

This chapter is dedicated to azaana_s1 !! Thanks for being a supportive and awesome reader. Thanks for commenting and voting on my story. I hope you continue to enjoy my story as it develops. 

Vote, comment and share with your friends. Enjoy and Happy Reading !! :)