Chapter 32 - Love & Basketball

I lay with my head on Blake’s lap as he sits on the sofa. We watch tv together.

“We should do something this weekend.” He says.

I turn to face him. “Like what?”

“I don’t know. Something special. Just us. Something we’ve never done before.”

I now sit up and my eyes widened. “Blake Austin Griffin, are you asking me out on a date? Our first official date?”

“That is what I’m trying to do, yes.”

“Fine.” I return my head to his lap.

“Ok. So, what do you want to do?”

“I don’t know. Surprise me.”

---------------------------------------

Blake listened. It was now Saturday and he hadn’t told me a thing about what we were doing.

“Surprise you? What were you thinking?” Kylie askes me

“I have no idea. I wanted to sound sexy. He is picking me up in a couple hours, I don’t know what to wear and I’m so nervous.” I reply freaking out. 

“Mel, chill. I’ve never seen you this jumpy.”

“I don’t understand. I’ve been out with Blake a million time, but…this time…”

“It’s different. I get it.”

“I just want whatever it is to be perfect.”

“In that case, lets get you ready.” We walk to my room and pick out an outfit.

I decided on a black crop top with long sleeves and blackand white plaid overalls with short black boots and thigh high socks. I slightly curl my hair, grab a purse and I am ready. Blake picks me up at 8pm and we’re off.

Blake made me where a blind fold the entire way there. I heard car horns and people talking so I knew we were still in the city. After about 15-20 minutes, Blake stops the car. He comes around to my side and opens the door, extending a hand so I could take it. We walk a little bit, then he opens a door, letting me walk in first. We walk inside for about five minutes and travel up some steps. We finally enter a large room. It sounded pretty empty because I could hear the echo of my own foot steps.

“Are you ready?” I hear Blake ask me from behind. I nod before he tells me I can take the blindfold off.

I know where we are. It’s the staples center. We stand far up on the steps by the seats.

“I’m confused.” I tell Blake turning to face him, he smiles at me.

He yells “now” into the air and someone obeys him. Suddenly a spot light flips on directed at the basketball court and a really cheesy love song starts playing. In the middle of the court was a small table for two. It had two plates with a sliver coverings like that ones you get at hotels when you over room service. On the table was also teo glasses and a bottle of white wine. I gasp as the sight and scurry down the steps. When I make it to the floor, I take in the sighting. Blake comes up behind me.

"I know this isn’t fancy or anything but-”

I cut him off. “This is perfect.”  Blake takes my hand and we take our seats at the table. I realized something in that moment. I just wanted to be with him. It didn’t matter if we were at my place watching tv or walking his dog or in an empty creepy arena on our first date. Being with him made me the happiest person in the world. And what I really loved? Even though he was my boyfriend, Blake was still my best friend.

After we eat, we lay on the floor. I lay on top of Blake with my chin rested on his chest, looking up at him. 

“You know what we should do?” Blake asks breaking the long overdo silence.

“What’s that?”

“Stay here.” Blake gets up and runs off somewhere. He is gone for a couple of minutes before the music turns off and all the lights switch on. I squint my eyes, trying to limit the light entering. Then I see Blake run out with a basketball and he hands it to me. I give a confused face. “Lets play. One on one.”

I laugh a bit because I knew he was totally serious. I get up and we move the table over to the side. I take off my shoes and jewelry and pull my hair into a high ponytail.

When I finished we played. Running up and down the court. I wasn’t very good but he let me sit around his neck to make a dunk. He scared me because he walked away while I was still holding on to the rim. He made several lay ups and I tried my hand at shooting free throws and three pointers, which are harder then they look. My favorite part of the game was when we defended each other. He would get extremely up in my personal space, whispering dirty things in my ear and once he picked me up by one arm and swung me around while I laughed hysterically.

That night was perfect. After he dropped me home, he walked me to my door but decided not to spend the night. I got ready for bed and just as I was dozing off I thought about my night. It was amazing. I was so lucky to have Blake. He was funny and sweet and awesome and I loved everything about him. I loved him. I love him. I’m in love with him. Oh God. 

------------------- 

comment, like & share