Chapter 1. Red Lake

"All rise!" My mother and her boyfriend followed the Bailiff's gruff instruction just as the door behind him swung open. "Juvenile court is now in session. The honorable Judge Davis presiding." I swallowed as an older gentleman with a stern face and snowy hair sat behind the bench.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen." Judge Davis paused before taking his reading glasses out of his chest pocket. "Calling the case of Glory Mercado Vs. Hazel Gallego. Are both sides ready?" He asked without looking up from my file.

"Yes, your honor." My mother stated as she shot an annoyed glance in my direction.

"Ms. Gallego, you are being charged with truancy, curfew violations, running away in multiple instances, and incorrigible behavior." I stared blankly behind him as he read the charges.

"My records show multiple police reports and testimonials from other family members that can attest to these charges." I glared back at my mother and her prick of a boyfriend.

Her pixie cut was neatly styled, and a dark shade of wine stained her pressed lips. Her boyfriend, balding and smug, stood next to her with his hands folded in front of him.

"Ms. Mercado did you get a chance to go over the brochures we provided you?" The judge asked before removing his glasses.

"Yes, your honor." She nodded before holding up the pamphlet of her choosing. I watched the judge rub his temples wearily, as the Bailiff walked up and took the brochure from her hand.

"Camp Red Lake?" He confirmed as he slid the glasses back on his nose. "I am within legal obligation to inform you that Camp Red Lake is a privately-run, co-ed, juvenile detention camp. While they are more economical, there have been allegations of misconduct and unorthodox treatment surrounding private facilities in the past. With this information as part of your knowledge, are you sure this is the facility you wish to pick?" After giving her boyfriend a quick glance, she turned back to the judge, decisively.

"Yes, your honor."

After neatly stacking the papers on his desk, the judge picked up his gavel and cleared his throat.

"Camp Red Lake specializes in character building by making cadets wash their own garments, cook their own meals and tidy their own work space. They also enforce a strict exercise regimen and cadets must attend school three times a week. Hazel Gallego, I sentence you to twenty-four month confinement at Camp Red Lake!"

A knot formed in my chest when the gavel came down and it finally began to sink in. Sure, I had been a bit rude and disorganized. I'd also cut my share of classes, but who hadn't? I don't remember ever running away. I would only leave because I was sick of the fighting and the nagging. I wasn't perfect but did it really warrant two years in jail? My heart began to race when the Bailiff placed me in handcuffs.

"N-no wait, you can't do this! T-think about it, this is a little harsh!" I stammered, fear beginning to grip me. I flinched as the cold metal pinched my wrists. "Don't do this, you know this is a mistake!" I pled as the Bailiff tugged on my cuffs.

"I'm sorry, but I'm tired of getting calls that you missed school every day. I'm tired of your filth and your disrespect for me and my partner." I narrowed my eyes at her boyfriend's satisfied expression. Tears dripped from my eyes. As the Bailiff hauled me away.

They held me in an empty concrete cell for two hours. When the bus arrived, two lady cops herded me and ten other girls into the bus. Each one of us had a tag pinned to our back with the name of the facility we were going to. We were also handed a clear bag containing our belongings.

"Watch your heads ladies!" A gruff woman with unruly hair and a military cap, growled from the driver's seat as we shuffled slowly onto the bus. I tripped over my shackles as I struggled to climb the blocky steps. "Watch it!" She rasped as I made it inside and found a seat at the back. Thick, bullet-proof glass divided our space from hers. Once everybody had sat down, she closed the door and turned on the engine.

It took about seven hours to arrive at Red Lake. The bus made several stops as it dropped off the prisoners one by one. My stop was the last one, somewhere near the outskirts of San Luis Obispo county, just west of Polytech U. Dense vegetation covered the area and the main camp sat on an elevated stretch of land just above the lake. It was nearly sunset when we pulled up in front of the metal gate. After shifting to park, the driver pressed a button on her radio. "I've got a new recruit." She muttered into a small black square. After a few seconds, the gates creaked open.

"Evening warden." The bus driver greeted a stern looking lady as she waited for me outside the bus. She wore plain grey slacks and a matching blouse. Her utility belt was complete with a baton on the left and a gun on her right. A small black radio clung to her left bosom and a crop of messy chocolate hair fell over her cavernous forehead lines. I maneuvered my way carefully down the steps, hoping I wouldn't trip.

"Thank you, Irene. Have a safe drive back." The warden muttered coldly as she pulled my chains and ushered me inside the facility. A pair of metal detectors guarded the entrance. "Take off your shoes," she instructed before unlocking my cuffs. "Hands on the wall and spread your legs." I cooperated quietly as another lady cop came up behind me and patted me down.

"She's clean." The cop assured before handing her the paperwork they'd pinned to my back. The warden nodded and motioned for me to relax. "The bag please!" The lady cop demanded as she extended her hand. I obliged and handed over my stuff.

"Case number 9980." The warden cited so her associate could mark the bag. After handing it to the cop behind the desk, the warden ushered me into an empty room. Grey tiles covered the walls and floor and a single shower head rose up from the center. "You have 5 minutes to undress and shower." She informed before tossing a towel at me, then slamming the door behind her. After I slipped out of my sweaty clothes, I turned on the shower head. Shivers racked my body when the icy water hit my skin. By the time I finished, my teeth were chattering.

"9980, your clothes!" I watched as she opened a small hatch in the center of the door and slid some stuff in. "You have 2 minutes to get dressed!" Hastily, I made my way over and took the uniform. They gave me a pair of basic white undergarments, socks and a pack of sanitary towels, along with three white t-shirts and two pairs of pants. The shirt fit snug and the camouflage cargos looked baggy around my thin legs. The work boots they provided were heavy and one size too big. As soon as I finished tying them, the door swung open. After taking my regular clothes and putting them with my other belongings, the warden gestured for me to follow.

"Fresh meat coming through!" She disclosed loudly as I followed her out into a vast pasture. The camp was enormous, it stretched as far as the eye could see. Patchy grass covered the center where large jungle gyms and exercise equipment was setup. A little farther west of the entrance where all the offices stood, dozens of cabins lined the area. I swallowed anxiously when I noticed the other cadets staring at me. Some of them wore black shirts while others wore white.

"Cabin twenty-seven will be your home for the next two years. Robles! Lowery! You've got a new roommate!" She banged on the door frame with her baton just before turning around and walking back to her office. I stood at the entrance with my towel and two pairs of uniform folded in my arms.

"Welcome to Camp Red Lake!" A cheerful voice called from the top bunk. I watched wearily as a petite girl shuffled down the ladder. "I'm Myra, what's your name?" She asked before tilting her head curiously to the side. She had fair skin, emerald eyes and caramel locks cut in a straight, short bob. She wore a white t-shirt just like me.

"Ha-Hazel." I managed to stammer just as a girl in a black T-shirt approached from behind her.

"I'm Allison." She mumbled, just before flicking her flaxen locks over her shoulder and walking out of the cabin.

"Don't pay her any mind, she's always like that." Myra assured before leading me to a small dresser. "The top drawer is mine; the middle is Ally's and the bottom is yours." I nodded before dumping my stuff in. "There is only one toilet per cabin, so try not to hog it. The showers are in a separate building and we must wash our uniforms every Wednesday and Friday after school. Other than that, do you have any questions?" She spun around with a smile on her face. I shook my head. "Cool, then welcome home!"

(A/N Hey there peeps! Thank you so much for reading my story, it means the world to me! Votes and comments are greatly appreciated, they keep me going and you best believe I read every single one! I hope you guys enjoy this book and I urge you guys to follow and show your friends! Thank you guys again! Fallen out! :p)